Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Old Barn

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


Here is this Wednesday's picture and story.



You are welcome to come on inside and have a look around. The door is open for you. No one has been here to visit me for quite some time. The hinges are all rusted on the door, so it doesn't close very well, and the weeds and grass have grown up all around. I wonder where all the folks have gone who used to be here. 

As you know you have come up through Wisconsin to Door County, right along Lake Michigan. On this peninsula many years back, there was a beautiful house right on the water, and a walkway to my door was made of flat stones. At one time I was surrounded by trees on one side and fields of corn on the other. Come on inside so I can tell you about the things I'm watching over until my owners return for them.

There's the old tractor, an old Allis-Chalmers, that was used to pull that old rusty plow you see over in the corner. The old disc and harrow were taken out into the field after the plow made its way through the fields after the winter thaw . And the planter! There are only four planter boxes on this one, and I heard that the new ones have many more boxes to seed the rows in the fields now. 

The workbench in the corner is loaded with the old tools. It wouldn't hurt if someone would take the scythe out and cut some of the weeds around here. I remember when they used that old hammer and box of nails to put the shingles on my roof. Those shingles could sure use some work now, as there is a bit of water dropping through on rainy days, or when my roof is covered in snow. There's an old buck saw hanging on the wall that was used to cut wood for my pot bellied stove. It sure would feel good right now to have this warm up my insides. That creaking noise you hear is from my old bones. The sliding door on my side flops about in the wind. 

We are all hanging out here waiting for someone to make us useful again. Maybe our folks have gone somewhere to feel wanted and useful as well. If you see them, tell them hello from us, and we hope they come back soon. And bring along a bucket of paint.

It's your turn....be sure to link in with your picture and story. It is so much fun to read what others create from a picture. Also linking to Outdoor Wednesday.

Linda Kay

18 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Happy Wednesday, Linda Kay

Mascha said...

Great and lovely story, speaks me from the soul. - So I've often stand and speak with old abandoned houses in the past. In the area of former GDR we had many, but now just all are destroyed and I can never make digital photos of them.

Mascha said...

By the way: I've added to my Childhood-memory-story a photo of the cups, today in the morning.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I enjoyed your story and picture, Linda Kay. Angel

Karen S. said...

A most lovely story, and just my kind of place.

Cranberry Morning said...

I love the way you wrote that story, from the barn's perspective. So nostalgic. Lovely!

TexWisGirl said...

very sad.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, I don't have a story this week but I sure like yours. Thanks for sharing and have a good day! John

William Kendall said...

Quite evocative of time and place, Linda!

Mike said...

Looks like it's brush hog time at the old cabin.

carolann said...

Oh what was I think. You are here. I guess I commented once.

Thank you for always commenting to my blog.

Truly. I do not like Googles +.

carolann said...

oh very nice your story.

So your blog is people writing stories. Interesting.

I must come back in the weekend and read some.

Gosia k said...

Once again an interesting story..

Rory Bore said...

I could just imagine the stories an old barn could tell. I remember playing often in the hayloft of my grandparents barn.

Linda said...

Lovely story.

Anita said...

Such a real & philosophical take, Linda.
It's true for all - every living being feels so. To be loved & useful!

Amy at love made my home said...

It sounds like some workshops and sheds that I have known many years ago! xx

bettyl-NZ said...

What a great story and invitation from a friendly barn!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...