Saturday, March 21, 2015

Pursue Great People

Joining in with In Other Words at Patricia's PlaceIn Other Words

“All have their frailties and whoever looks for a friend without imperfections will never find what he seeks.”
Cyrus the Great

Reflecting on this quote, many thoughts came to my mind of friends from the past and present. How many of us remember those people in our school days, who seemed to be the perfect people...those who were popular, cheerleaders, basketball stars, super brains, etc? Sometimes they made us feel inferior, and oh how we wanted them to be our friends. 

At some point in life, not sure exactly when that happened, it became apparent that these images had flaws. The basketball star, who couldn't get into college or win a scholarship. Then there was the cheerleader who got pregnant and had to quit school to take care of her child. Suddenly it was apparent that the friends we had cultivated through those years of school all went their separate ways and it became harder to stay in touch. The class reunions revealed that no one is perfect, just like the quote from Cyrus.

Chip Ingram has a book called "Good to Great in God's Eyes" and one chapter is about pursuing great people. He indicates that these aren't people who are perfect, but who influence you positively, and I would also indicate that they would be great friends.  Here is a quote from his book on P. 77:
"I encourage you to pursue great people because, for better or worse, you will be shaped by the people around you. Whomever you hang out with, whoever's teaching you come under, and whomever you choose to influence you will greatly determine the direction of your life."

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend with lots of Spring sunshine. Going dancing at a Texas dance hall tonight! Gotta keep practicing our two-step! Thanks for hosting, Patricia.

Linda Kay

22 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A Saturday night dance sounds great. Enjoy it!

whiteangel said...

My goodness, enjoy your dancing...

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Love this post. Enjoy yourself!

Hilary said...

have a great weekend!

Revrunner said...

Two-step. And I'm just working on one step at a time. :-)

Michelle F said...

Linda Kay, I really like this post.
Finally, I am learning Jesus is the best friend I can ever have.
Ultimately, a person is answerable to God, not me. The same goes for myself.
My relationship with God is dependent on what I do with it.

I studied Hebrews 6, today.
It is a powerful chapter.
Not sure why this post made me think of that, but it did :)

Have a great weekend!

Hope you don't mind if I post that quote on my fb page.

TexWisGirl said...

enjoy your dancing!

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, What a powerful post ... thank you for sharing this. If I may say so, getting the stage of being a "senior" helps one to see and appreciate the truth of what Mr. Ingram is writing about. I will be checking out his book. Now, in response to your comment, I wish you luck on finding an L for Anni's challenge! Have a good weekend! John

Jeanne said...

Good morning Linda Kay, How shocking, I actually have a bit of time to visit my dear blog friends today.

I love both of the quotes you shared and if you don't mind I am sharing the one from Chip Ingram's book.

I find that your HS friends story is the way things are so often. When we are young we just can't see the importance of finding worthy friends that will make a positive impact on our lives.

Have a wonderful weekend and happy Spring.
Hugs,
Jeanne

Linda said...

Enjoy your time at the dance tonight, Linda!!! :)

Big Sky Heidi said...

What a great way to be active on Saturday night!

Mike said...

Class reunions definitely reveal imperfections.

Gosia k said...

Oh yes you are right friends are very important in our life. Have a great dancing.

William Kendall said...

Have fun at the dance tonight!

Rain Trueax said...

Interesting thoughts. I don't think I ever wanted to be friends with the 'popular' kids in high school-- too much different. I just wanted a few friends; so I wouldn't have to sit alone for lunch or at a football game. But this made me wonder who were the 'great' people of those years. I know the interesting ones of today, who were in my high school, I am still in touch with.

carol l mckenna said...

Have wonderful fun dancing!

Happy Weekend to you,
artmusedog and carol

Janie Junebug said...

I remember a girl who wasn't very nice, but she was popular. She was a cheerleader in junior high, and part of the elite singing group in high school. She died from skin cancer several years ago. I feel sorry for her family. Her life wasn't perfect at all.

Love,
Janie

Terra said...

Pursue great people to be with sounds like good advice, since friends can uplift us.

Terri @ Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I hope you enjoyed the dance. I used to could dance, but the older I get the more clumsy I get..so I probably should stay away from public dances! Have a wonderful Sunday.

Wandering Wren said...

Loved this post! I think what happens in a successful, happy life is that the point you mention is when you stop wanting to be like other people; the basketball stars and the super brains, and start accepting you are you and being happy in your own skin, flaws and all.
I love the quote "You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” Jim Rohn and agree with you on the importance of pursuing great people around you.
You got me thinking today Linda, Love it!
Wren x

The Yum List said...

This quote is so true. In fact it's often the imperfections that make our friends most loveable.

Patricia said...

This is a wonderful post. So true about how we look at people when we are young and impressed with "popularity". I love the Ingram quote. I haven't read the book but have put it on my library list. So much of who we are is due to who is around us to influence us, good or bad. Thank you for the insightful words you have shared.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...