Saturday, March 28, 2015

Saturday Meme

“Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey”
Barbara Hoffman

This is our quote today from Patricia's Place.

If you Google worry stones, you will see lots of possibilities of these listed and recommended by psychologists even for children who are under stress. The idea is to place the stone between our thumb and forefinger and rub your worries away, or at least think of calming movement to get rid of your worries.

I used to be a worrier, not warrior, as Google thought I was referring at first search. My hubby is my steady calming effect, as he has a patient demeanor and doesn't seem to worry too much about anything. He lays out plans, and enjoys the journey. It has taken me a long time to be able to just enjoy the journey with him.

There is nothing wrong with planning, actually, as it helps to relieve worry for those of us who have the tendency. But planning and then going back to re-plan and worry about all possible outcomes, is really on the borderline of "crazy". Thus the worry stone. 

For example, we are taking a long road trip to Maine this year, then staying for a month and driving back. We can lay out the driving plan, but in the middle of summer, it's not likely we need to have a hotel reservation too far ahead. If we did that, then we would have to be worrying about what time we were going to arrive at the daily destination instead of enjoying the trip. We could also anticipate what would happen if we have a breakdown in our 5-year old 105,000 mile car. But we have AAA if such a situation occurs, so why worry? The list goes on and on.

The point is, there are so many alternatives to any situation if we choose to worry about the outcome. If we do concern ourselves too much about the alternatives, we might miss out on the joy of the adventure. 

What situations can you think of where you might have enjoyed the journey more if you hadn't been a worrier (not warrior...that's a whole other subject!).

Have a special Saturday. Thanks for hosting, Patricia!

Linda Kay

24 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You rack up the miles pretty well. But don't worry lol, cars hold up well these days.

Tom said...

Always remember "too blessed to be stressed." Tom The Backroads Traveller

Saucy Kodz said...

Your mileage is not that much - we had 250 and drove to Ontario. If you take care of your car and do all the oil changes, etc, it will last well past the 105. Maine, you say. How far up in Maine are you coming. Sometimes we don't plan, we just pack bags, Dog bag too and leave. Those unplanned ones are fun too. Just get your mechanic to check over the car before you leave - that's what we do.Have a wonderful day

eViL pOp TaRt said...


The trip to Maine sounds like a great idea!

eileeninmd said...

I love road trips! Your trip to Maine sounds great! Happy weekend!

Lin Floyd said...

finding hidden blessings in otherwise stressful situations...

TexWisGirl said...

i'm a terrible worrier. i inherited that from my mother. thankfully, she also gave me her smile. :)

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

You are an inspiration. I have passed an award to you. No obligation. Just know that you deserve it. Hug.
http://mcguffysreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/very-inspiring.html

Mike said...

Make sure the stone is between your thumb and forefinger. If you do that without a stone, it's a sign of Parkinson's disease. Not that I want to make you worry.

William Kendall said...

I highly recommend checking out Acadia National Park, and Campobello Island if you're in that part of Maine.

Rain Trueax said...

My favorite kind of travel is what you are doing. Drive and stop where it feels right. The vacation trailer has required a little more thinking as you can't really park it just anywhere. But by knowing all the possible parks, there is still no need for a reservation.

carol l mckenna said...

Your quote is so appropriate for New England as now after the snow we have lots of pot holes !

Wonderful post ~ xo

Happy Weekend to you,
artmusedog and carol

Cynthia said...

I could write a book on worrying! I work hard not to, but it's my nature and hard to fight. Your trip to Maine sounds wonderful. Definitely a beautiful place to visit. Have fun making your plans.

bj said...

I loved your post...I am the worrier and Mr. Sweet keeps my back covered...he is so soft spoken, and handles his worries with prayer...so just knowing that, calms me down. :)'

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Maine will be a great trip, and just think of all the great pictures you'll get.
~

Michelle F said...

Hi Linda Kay,

I think I am learning to be more of a `warrior`, than a `worrier`. I have been a worrier my whole life. Lots of negative thoughts. I am finding the more positive I become I can realize negativism in others.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I like the phrase warrior and not worrier! We have driven cross country and back three times in the past and up and down both the east and west coasts.Now we are driving steep grades on mountain roads--they can be very worrisome of icy days but the views are magnificent!

whiteangel said...

Never heard of worry stones.
We have travelled on roads that hardly have any traffic when holidaying, and I never seem to worry - what happens, happens and someone will always come along in 24 hours and hopefully stop - so indeed, why worry!

Abelle | The Wows! And Oops! Of Life said...

Wow, Ms. Linda Kay. This just came in the right time.

I am a warrior. I have fought dozens of battles in my 38years of existence. I am a worrier as well. I am a person who makes plans in everything I do. To the point that I make plan B, and sometimes C or D, thinking about 'what if plan A did not work'. I plan then start worrying and will be in panic mode when my plan doesn't come as it should be. And then in the end, whatever the outcome is, the warrior in me finishes the work ;o)

Kay said...

My whole life is a worry situation, but I'm working hard to be a warrior instead. My husband is definitely more a warrior.

Enjoy your Sunday and have a great week ahead.

Josie Two Shoes said...

I come from a line of worriers, and it is such a hard habit to break. When things are bad we worry that they could get worse, and when they are good we worry about what bad is sure to come. That really does rob us of all the joy of living in the moment... and the trusting in God to see us through. I have learned, for the most part, to live one day at a time, taking it as it comes, and seeing what adventures are in store and what good I can make of it. I agree with you that too much planning can spoil all the fun of spontaneity. I hope you have a wonderful time on your Maine trip!

The Armchair Squid said...

Oh, there are whole years of my life I might have enjoyed more if I'd worried less!

Your trip sounds like great fun.

The Yum List said...

I do like that pothole vs journey quote. I need to remember that.

Patricia said...

Well, I was worried that I would never find the time to read and respond to the In Other Words posts. But here I am worry over. I liked your thoughts. I have some problems with anxiety but nothing like when I was a young woman. All those hours and days of worry! Wasted time and no joy. With age comes some wisdom and less worry. Thanks for joining In Other Words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...