Saturday, March 7, 2015

Talk to Polly



“Lots of people talk to animals. Not many listen, though. That’s the problem.”
Benjamin Hoff

Linking to In Other Words. In Other Words
Thanks for hosting!

Polly. And Izzy, then there was Sophie Dog. I talked to all of them. The beautiful thing about dogs who are completely devoted to you is that you can talk to them with their eyes. They seem to read your mind, don’t they? I’ll catch Polly just staring into my eyes sometimes, probably trying to discover something about how much I adore her.

I do talk to my animals, but there is a reason for that.  The sound of the master’s (or mistress’) voice is very important. From my voice, she hears commands, praise, and probably a bit of scolding and frustration. But does Polly listen? I think she does to some extent, but she has such a strong will that it occasionally overrides what I have to say. I think my next step will be some sort of dog obedience school.

What did Mr. Hoff mean by this statement? I read up on this author a bit, and found that he is really in touch with nature. He wrote two popular books, one of which is the Tao of Pooh, reflecting on Winnie the Pooh. This of course sent me into looking up Taoism, and a brief description of this relates to living in harmony through Chinese Tao. So Mr. Hoff may have been thinking in terms of the harmony of animals with humans.

Animals, like people, have their own way of operating through their life. Humans come along and try to make them adapt to our way of life, living indoors, going for walks in the neighborhood on a leash, eating when the food is placed before them, etc. Animals want to be free to their own devices, so why listen?

Just for kicks, think of this in terms of people listening to other people. We have our own personal set of values; our own buttons, so to speak. While we might have an ear to what others have to say, we adapt them to our own life views.

So maybe when I take Polly out for her next walk, I’ll give her a bit more leash so she can check all the message boards along the way that are further out of reach. It might take care of her wanderlust. Maybe she will even listen better in the future?

Have a fabulous weekend, and a great Spring Break for those who will observe that next week!


Linda Kay

22 comments:

Saucy Kodz said...

This is a very nice post. I talk to my Jack also. There are scolding talks, etc, but every day Jack and I enjoy the sunrise together. We share a small chair by the window, open the curtain and she looks out into the street and I settle to read with a nice cuppa, before the sun is just about to rise. Jack, I believe, watches in wonder as the sky lightens in dog colours and then she patrols the street and sky with her eyes and verbally says so, if she sees someone walking by or a bird or squirrel. ha,ha Then she has to settle for a nap with her head on my knee.Yes, give Polly more leash. I always take a 30 ft leash with me for Jack to run at the soccer field.... and let me tell you, Jack loves it. I keep the short leash for walking through town. Anyway, nice post Linda. Have a wonderful day.

eileeninmd said...

Great post and Polly is so cute. I used to always talk to me Goldie Girl..Have a happy weekend!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Daddy's dog sometimes smarts off! I know exactly what he means!

TexWisGirl said...

she's a cutie. i talk to, sing to, laugh with my pups. :)

Gosia k said...

nice dog, animals are independent creatures

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, What an interesting thought ... "While we might have an ear to what others have to say, we adapt them to our own life views." I am going to have to give that some serious consideration. :-) Neat post! Have a good weekend and say HI to your collector hubby. Still thinking he should start his own blog. John

Linda W. said...

What a cute pup! Yes, maybe I need to listen to my dog a little more...

Rain Trueax said...

Cute dog. I talk to my cats all the time. Mostly it's how beautiful they are and the female just oozes pleasure when I tell her that-- the male not so much. When I do have to use a disciplining voice, it's always thinks they know they should not do and they react to that tone if not the words.

Mike said...

I think Polly is trying to figure how to get you to do exactly what she wants you to do.

William Kendall said...

She is such a cutie!

Janie Junebug said...

Franklin and I chat every day. He rests his chin on my leg and gazes at me while I rub his head and neck and talk to him. I haven't needed to scold Franklin for quite some time. I think it's because he's been so happy since he met Willy Dunne Wooters. I feel the same way.

Love,
Janie

zana said...

Great post and food for thought. I always talk to my pets and others I see in the street!

whiteangel said...

Sweet dog.
I used to talk to my dogs when I had them, they listened, and I listened to them.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I've always talked to my critters, too. And try to listen!
~

carolann said...

Polly is a darling.

I used to talk also to my Ginger gal. She was blessed with long livability but at the end she got cancer.

I miss her. Like everyone does with their dogs who have passed.

The Yum List said...

Polly looks like a dog worth listening too. :-)

Lin Floyd said...

cute dog, does she really read your mind? lol!

Rose said...

Oh, I always talk to all pets...and I swear you can about read what they are thinking by looking in their eyes. Our Bubbie cat is so readable. Sometimes you can just tell he is looking for trouble...so wants someone to play. Others, he wants to be petted.

I had a cat named Cougar, and he would carry on a regular conversation. And we had a collie that would try her best to say I Love you...and you could not eve spell the word 'walk' around her...I think it was the sound of the k and just saying k that clued her in.

".E." Lizard Breath Speaks, It's Beth said...

love those ears. so cute. happy 2 i bet. ( :

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Polly is so cute and appealing!

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I once had a bird who could understand me and respond. At bed time he'd sometimes say, "leave the light on." Since he was a bird I rescued and I wasn't sure what bothered him about the dark, I got him a little night light he could turn on or off. He loved it.

DeniseinVA said...

Polly is adorable. I learned a long time ago how dogs could sense our moods be it happy or sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...