Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Wednesday Photo Story

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


Here's my photo submission for the week.

Hello there, my friends. My name is Andrew and I hale from Scotland. Many years ago I had a crew of adventurous young lads, and we made a trip to America with cloth in rich plaids to sell to the Americans in New York. The seas were pretty rough coming over, and we had to travel through the treacherous ice of the North. We only had to bury one lad at sea, as he was overcome with the cough. After tending to the lad, I was also overcome with sickness, and there is a poem written for me.

O Captain! My Captain!

BY WALT WHITMAN
O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
                         But O heart! heart! heart!
                            O the bleeding drops of red,
                               Where on the deck my Captain lies,
                                  Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
                         Here Captain! dear father!
                            This arm beneath your head!
                               It is some dream that on the deck,
                                 You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
                         Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
                            But I with mournful tread,
                               Walk the deck my Captain lies,
                                  Fallen cold and dead.
Feel free to use the picture I have posted here to create your own story, then link back to share with others.
Linda Kay


14 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

Great combination of story and picture - and poem! xx

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Nice creative layering. I like that. Well done, my friend.
I am looking for writing prompts. Can you tell me more about this meme? Thanks!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A great poem!

whiteangel said...

Interesting poem..

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, What a writer you are! Nice work!

William Kendall said...

Very creative, Linda!

Mike said...

He looks like Leonardos' brother.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Wonderful job, Linda K.
~

Gosia k said...

What a pity I am not as talented as you

The Yum List said...

That was fun to see a little poetry this week.

Carola Bartz said...

What a clever way to include a poem by Walt Whitman. I like your story.

Rory Bore said...

LOVE!!!
you used one of my very favourite poems! I am a big Whitman fan.
and it's perfect with the picture too. bravo! :)

Anita said...

I love this poem, Linda.
We had it in our school text :)

Mascha said...

Famous!
Sorry, I'm very late and: I didn't understand, that I should write a story or poem to *your* picture. (I was a little ill in last time and could not visit your blog)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...