Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Aloha! Honeymoon

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


Here's my picture for today and the story that goes along with it:

Jerry and I were married on April 26th a few years back. I had never been on a major airliner, but we decided to take a trip to Hawaii for our honeymoon.  We were set to board the plane in St. Louis early in the morning for the flight. We found out that the plane that was to pick us up was delayed somewhere, Chicago if I remember right. 

After working with an agent, we were put on a flight that was to take us to Denver, then to LA, then to Hawaii. We would be arriving a little later than expected, but that was all they could offer. The flight to Denver then to LA was not such a challenge, but when we got to LA, the computer system on the plane went down after landing. The problem was that they couldn't tell who was supposed to continue on, etc., etc. So they put us in first class to make the flight to Hawaii. Not bad, right? We were running very late by this time. We landed in Honolulu, and were to board an island hopper to Maui where we had reservations, but it had become very late at night by this time. 

But first, the plane had to have someone make a run to a shop to pick up some brake fluid for the plane. Needless to say, I was getting pretty nervous by this time, and we had no idea where our luggage was or when it would arrive! We finally boarded the plane to Maui, and I swear we could see the ocean through the floorboards. Arrival at the hotel was somewhere around two o'clock in the morning at Maui. We fell into our bed, exhausted. About five in the morning, the phone rang, and I picked it up to hear "Aloha, this is your wakeup call!"  Of course, I didn't leave a wake up call, but by then we were wide awake, so excited to be in Hawaii that we ran on nervous energy for the rest of the morning, getting out to see what we could see. 

That was 30 years ago! It's been a great marriage, and we have had some incredible experiences together in that time. Don't you just love our traditional Hawaiian dress? 

Now it's your turn. Just post a picture and write your story, then join in below to share.
Aloha!
Linda Kay


20 comments:

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Oh I remember our first trip to Hawaii and my eyes popping out of their sockets when I looked out on the tarmac at LAX, seeing the size of the jumbo jet that would take us to the islands ...and looking back behind us at all the others waiting to board the same plane....my fear was getting that BIG sucker in the air!!! LOL

Fantastic story Linda K --- and I perused the Port A photos while I was here....great sand sculptures you shared. 12 in one house....and still room? Awesome!!! Hope it wasn't too hot and humid for you gals. Fun...and good food is super, no matter where you are.

Rebecca said...

Have you ever gone back? I think that experience would have rattled me too! Rebecca

whiteangel said...

An adventure indeed. Happy Wedding Anniversary :)

TexWisGirl said...

a rather harried start to your honeymoon, but a great beginning, none the less!

Gwen said...

You know, the first time I flew into Maui, I literally felt like my heart and soul were home. Love that island.

Glad the trip got better after the rocky start. ;)

Revrunner said...

Brake fluid. Sheesh! Sounds like me with my first car. :-)

Cynthia said...

Crazy experience for your first time flying. And love your matchy-matchy honeymoon outfits!

Amy at love made my home said...

My goodness, quite an experience!! Congratulations on many happy years of marriage and here's to many more! xx

Mike said...

I think I saw Jerry and her drive by my house in St. Louis. They were already wearing those outfits.

William Kendall said...

Jerry reminds me of the actor Jon Polito.

If you don't by chance already follow Cloudia at Comfort Spiral, she photoblogs from Hawaii.

Gail said...

What a wonderful story. A good test to see how well y'all dealt with stress as a married couple. I think you both passed with flying...no, pun intended...colors!

Cranberry Morning said...

Ha! What a great story! Love the line about seeing the ocean through the floorboards. LOL Definitely a memorable trip. Love the photo!

The Yum List said...

I do love the clothing: really in vacation mode.

The Armchair Squid said...

Great photo! Dress and shirt are made from the same material, aren't they?

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A wonderful honeymoon, with a happy continuation. Happy anniversary!

Carola Bartz said...

I love your story, Linda! The plane reminds me of the plane that took me from Assuan in Egypt to Abu Simbel - I think the plane was held together by duct tape!
Anyway, what a start into your honeymoon, but I guess you still had a lovely time in Hawaii and it didn't do any bad to your marriage!!

Mei Kuen Wong said...

You two look very nice with the Hawaii outfit! Love to visit Hawaii one day! Beautiful Hawaii...

Michelle F said...

Linda Kay, I thought our honeymoon turned out bad! Now I am thankful we only had a drunk bang on our door at 2:00a.m. and the restaurant meal was...

After the experience with the planes I don't think I could get on another one.

However, it's been a long marriage, so that is saying something!

xoxo

Farin Vazquez said...

Despite the stress of the travel, I'm sure the memories are serving you well. You made my morning, I can only imagine seeing the ocean through the floorboards :)

Farin

Rory Bore said...

I think I would endure all that just for the chance to go to Hawaii! although, yes a bit tedious.. and somewhat dangerous at times it almost sounds.
And you simply must wear the Hawaiian shirts! it's imperative.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...