Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Aunt Dorothy

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


Don't you just love the technology we have available to us today? I found this old picture among my packing items, so thought I'd share a bit of a story about my Aunt Dorothy.



What a lovely lady, my Aunt Dorothy was. That's here holding me when I was just a little shaver. Dorothy was just two years older than my mom, and in this picture, was still a single gal. After high school, she went off to "teacher's college" to become an elementary teacher back in the day.  She married Uncle Herman when he was in uniform during WWII, and waited for him to return from Germany. They had three daughters, Karen, Kay and Lori, who are just very lovely cousins. We don't get to see each other very often, as all live still in Illinois. 

When I was a child, Herman and Dorothy lived on a small 80-acre farm outside Hartsburg, IL, where Dorothy and my mother actually grew up. My grandparents had moved to town, leaving the Scully Lease to them. Dorothy had a fabulous and huge garden, and I remember well the apricot tree from which she made these wonderful jams. A tire swing hung from one of the sturdy branches. The house was very small, but I remember the little pantry off the kitchen where there were wonderful cookies or cakes whenever our families were together to play cards. The card game of choice was pinochle. 

Sources of income for them were the chickens, the milk cows, Dorothy's income from teaching, and Uncle Herman's pay for working at the Ag Extension office. The milking was very time consuming, as it had to be done twice a day, no matter what. They were very confined, as you can imagine. 

There was a small building just a short distance from the house, called the milkhouse, actually. If I were staying with them over a weekend, we had baths out in this building in a galvanized tub, as it was some time before they had a shower or bathtub in the house. Such a simple life, but left many happy memories for me. I loved her dearly.

Thanks for stopping by to visit. It's your turn! Share a picture and a story with us by linking in below.

Linda Kay

17 comments:

biebkriebels said...

That sounds very idyllic and such sweet memories, nice story.

Mascha said...

Lovely memories about a simple life!

Such a galvanized tub I know too from my childhood, we had no bathroom, that was normally in the GDR in 60-&70ies in old houses...

whiteangel said...

Lovely memories. Great to think back at the fun things that are totally different from today...

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Such a lovely memory. She must have been a strong woman!

Saucy Kodz said...

Your Aunt Dorothy sounds like someone I would have been proud to meet. Such lovely memories .

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Enjoyed your story but it sure makes me appreciative of our modern conveniences and just picking up a gallon of milk at the store!

TexWisGirl said...

sweet memories. sweet photo! love her dimples. :)

Anvilcloud said...

An old picture leads you to post and reminisce on a modern convenience.

Carola Bartz said...

What a lovely story, Linda. Your aunt Dorothy sounds wonderful. Her life does sound idyllic, but I think it was very hard as well. But somehow this simple life sounds so much more appealing than what we have today. It seems that it was more down to what really matters - community, family, living off the land, resourceful - oh, the list could go on. I would have loved your aunt's pantry!!

Mike said...

Did your aunt Dorothy have a pair of red sparkly shoes?

Val said...

What lovely memories of the farm life. I know life was hard. My husband's great grandfather had a dairy farm here in New Jersey. His Dad and his Grandma had wonderful stories of days on the farm. Yes, lots of hard work but lots of love and fun, too.

William Kendall said...

Quite wonderful memories to have.

Tom said...

Such a little cutie. Tom The Backroads Traveller

The Yum List said...

I do like looking at old photos.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

That's a lovely tribute, Linda Kay, and I love the old photo!

Rory Bore said...

well this turned out to be a lovely trip down memory lane - for me too!!
I remember well my grandparents dairy farm, and milking twice a day and getting hosed down at the end of the day in the milk shed! they did have indoor plumbing by then, but only one bathroom, which with all us cousins visiting could get a little crowded! ha. so swimsuits and garden hose it was.
and there was always a couple of pies, or brownies or something cooling on the window sill of the farmhouse when we came in.
I am all for the simple life.

Cynthia said...

I enjoyed reading about your aunt and family. I have fond memories of growing up with the farm in my family and always wished my kids could have experienced some of those same simple pleasures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...