Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Escape - Final Episode

The next morning, Frances walked to the Plaza and the cafe to begin her day. Just as she was approaching the back of the building, she was stopped by the man she had served in the cafe the day before.

“You are Felicia, and I have been watching you,” he said as he grabbed hold of her arm.

“My name is Frances, and let go of my arm!”

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Eric spun the man around and knocked him to the ground.

“Leave her alone! What do you want with her?” He shouted at the man, and clenched his fist to limit any aggression.

The man rubbed his chin, then sat up. “My name is Calvin Olin. I’ve been hired by the New York police department to track down Felicia. We had another agent in England looking for you, ma’am, but he lost you when you came here to Spain. He found some evidence of your plane flight after you were already gone.”

“But why are you here to find me?” Frances was horribly frightened at the prospect that the police were going to send her back to New York. “And how did you find me?”

“The police found a scrap of paper with a phone number in the house where your husband died, and traced it to someone who apparently got your identities for you. It didn’t take much to make him tell them your new name, and they were able to go from there. What the police need now is a deposition from you as to what you know about your husband’s family and their affairs. They have arrested his father on a variety of charges, and they need to know what you might be able to tell us of their dealings. There is no doubt that your husband’s death was self-defense. They will protect your new identity and where you are now, so that you can live a new life here in Madrid. And they will help you get the money out of your husband’s estate and insurance.  Can I stand up now?”

Eric looked at Frances, and reached for Calvin’s arm to help him up. Calvin brushed off his clothes, then addressed Frances again.

“Felicia, Frances, the police really need your help. Will you spend some time with me to answer some questions and dictate your answers? Maybe this evening?”

“Okay. But I won’t have to go back to New York or face my husband’s family?”

“That’s right. You will be like you are in protective custody, even though you arranged all this yourself.  We’ve been watching to see if there is any indication of the family tracing your whereabouts, and we haven’t seen anything. I think you can relax.”

Eric walked Frances to the cafe for her morning shift, holding her hand.

“Just maybe this is all over for you and we can just enjoy the summer together.” He held her briefly, then kissed her. “Should I join you tonight when you meet with Calvin?”

“I would like that very much. And thank you for being there for me. I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t been there.” Tears streamed down her cheeks.


“I can assure you, Ms. Frances, it will be really hard to get rid of me.” He turned back and winked at her as he walked across the Plaza to set up his easel and paints.

Hope you have all enjoyed the story of Felicia/Frances and her adventure to Madrid and a new love. You can find previous episodes of this adventure on my past Tuesday posts. I'm linking in today with Two Shoes Tuesday with the words "live" and "limit". Be sure to check out the website for what others have written!

Have a fabulous week, my friends.

Linda Kay

22 comments:

Hilary said...

Loved it!

knitbakecultivate said...

A great story, very enjoyable.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A love the happy, satisfying ending!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Wonderful!!!

TexWisGirl said...

darn. i was hoping she'd be shot by a hired killer! :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

They all lived happily ever after:(

Mike said...

A happy ending story. Few and far between these days.

Gosia k said...

great but I would like to read more. Greetings from Poland

Amy at love made my home said...

It has been interesting following this story. It was a very unexpected ending, but a good one! xx

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Beautiful ending - makes me smile.

William Kendall said...

Very nicely done!

Val said...

I hope Calvin produced id for her. This was a "happy" ending and I like "happy endings". Your writing has such a great flow to it.

DeniseinVA said...

Well that was a real nice ending. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, a great read, thank you so much!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a great ending! Whew...things worked out with her new love! Thanks my friend for sharing your talents with all of us. Hugs, Diane

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a great ending! Whew...things worked out with her new love! Thanks my friend for sharing your talents with all of us. Hugs, Diane

Josie Two Shoes said...

You did such an amazing job of turning this tale around in a believable but happy fashion! I think that's a good message for life, sometimes all the fears we imagine never come to pass, something wonderful happens instead! I loved the whole story and hope you will do more of them!

Old Egg said...

I am glad it ended happier than what we were expecting. However I would have liked you to have strung it out a bit longer; it could have lasted for weeks!

The Yum List said...

This story is begging for a part 2! (please ;-)

Rory Bore said...

Ahhh! A great ending. so glad it all worked out for her.
really would love to see a re-visit --- kind of a prologue - one day. :)

Mei Kuen Wong said...

Hello Linda, thanks for your comment on my recipe, do let me know how you get on with the fish! :-) My English is a struggle for me to write a recipes book, but with not giving up! I hope one day...

Patricia said...

Always like a happy ending especially one with a happy beginning following it.

Carola Bartz said...

I finally came around to finish reading your story. I'm glad it ended so well! Very well written, Linda.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...