Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Outward Bound

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


Here's my picture for the story for this week, by Normal Rockwell. Please ignore the reflection in the photo, as this is in a glass frame, a favorite of mine, for sure.


Outward Bound

My grandpa took me to the hill that overlooks the bay many times to watch the ships come into and leave from the port. He was a fisherman, in fact, you can see the mast of the boat he owned off the right of this picture, behind the old Methodist Church. His favorite time here was when the boats headed out to sea, Outward Bound, as he would say. I think it reminded him of the excitement he felt as the motor kicked in and the sails were raised to take him and his crew over the horizon.

That's my dog, Corky, with us. Corky would bark at the sea gulls for a while, then would get tired of the game and sit down iin the soft grass of the hill. Grandpa would tell me many stories of his days on the sea, fishing for shrimp and cod or salmon. 

One story I remember him telling was of one windy day he and his crew were out to drop their fishing nets quite a few miles offshore, when a huge storm came up. The sea was an angry gray and the waves tossed his little boat around, taking on some water in the process. He worked very hard to steer the boat into the waves, as a side blow would tip his boat over into the water. The men all pulled together to control the sails and bail out the water. After some grueling hours of fighting the storm, the sea calmed enough to allow them to limp back to the port to unload their catch from the day. Grandpa said my grandmother was waiting for him on the dock along with the other wives of the crew. 

The captain lives just down the hill. You can see the chimney on his house there on the left. He has trouble getting up the hill now, even with his cane. We buried Corky there on the hill when he died. I'm hoping someday when my grandfather passes that he can be buried there too so he can still watch the ships Outward Bound.

Not it's your turn. Find a picture, or you are welcome to use the one here on my blog to write a story. It is so much fun. Let your imagination take you to new places...even the sea. 
Linda Kay

17 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That's a great story, Linda Kay. You brought those characters into life!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Excellent Linda. Excellent.

And the Rockwell image, I can see why it's one of your favorites.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Strangely the glass frame reflects what looks to be the gates of Heaven opening! Love it.

TexWisGirl said...

awww. sweet. i think folks connected to the sea stay that way, indeed.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, I love any story that involves watching ships. That's one of my joys in life. Neat post!

William Kendall said...

I like where you took things from this pic. This is one Rockwell I'm not familiar with.

Gosia k said...

gifted author and a fantastic story

The Yum List said...

Great story.

Mike said...

Why did Corky have to die?

Banana Oil said...

You told a great story!

Lynda R Young said...

Gotta love Norman Rockwell paintings. The story fit it perfectly.

orchid Miyako said...

Dearest Linda; Oh, I LOVED to read this sweet story with your grandfather and Corky♡♡♡ Wow, 'control the sails and bail out the water'; your grandmother must have worried all the bad weather days for him.

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Nice story!

I'd try one, but it'd end up like collage: I never get it finished, get docked a few grades for being late.
~

Cherdo said...

That was a sweet story, Linda. Immediately, I felt like I was pulled into that picture and standing there with Grandpa.

You're talented; I'm gonna hang with you and see if anything rubs off. ;-)

Romi C said...

That is a lovely picture, and its wonderful interpretation.

Mei Kuen Wong said...

Dear Linda, thanks so much popping in and comments on my yum! They are my favourites Cantonese dishes. Love to post a story or two here, but I am a little shy! :-)

Rory Bore said...

love it! I can picture it all exactly as you have told it!
and I love this idea of doing a pic and a story! I'll have to jot down a reminder and join you one week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...