Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Perspective

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


Pictures of trains make me a bit nostalgic and bring back lots of memories. John share some wonderful postcards with trains and the ads for trains, so you should check it out. When my Jerry and I were going through some old family mementos we had brought from his mother's home, we ran across this picture his dad had done when he was in 7th grade..entitled "Perspective". 

I love this! And I thought I'd share a couple of my "train" stories with you. My first really big train ride was from Illinois to California to go to school. I got on the train all by myself and into Union Station in California to meet a couple who were friends of my parents. They took me to the college where I'd spend my first year of school - California Lutheran College in Thousand Oaks. Sounds pretty independent, right?

When returning to Illinois from school at the end of the first semester, I was in a car with a number of Marines from the Marine Corp Band, who were to perform back in California after their Christmas break for the Rose Bowl parade in Pasadena. We played cards talked for hours on end on that trip, and it left a very pleasant memory for me.

In 1993 we made a trip to Russia, Czech Republic and Poland. In New York at the onset of our trip, we met up with our dear friend Joy, and we became buddies for the entire trip. She was traveling with a friend so the four of us had great times together. When we left the Czech Republic for Poland, we boarded a night train. Joy is extremely claustrophobic, but we were sharing a 3-bunk quarters. I slept on the top, Joy slept in the middle with the window open, and Jerry slept on the bottom bunk. I can still here that clackety clack from the train traveling on the rails.

The last train ride was two years ago on a trip to California from Texas with our daughter and son-in-law and Carson. We had a pretty nice ride, actually, until it was time to turn in for the night. The top bunk was very close to the ceiling, but both seats folded down to meet in the middle. I am too claustrophobic to sleep in that tight a space, and Jerry would have trouble getting up into it, so we slept  tossed and turned all night. Again, we listened to the clackety clack of the wheels.

Even with less than perfect conditions, the train still holds a good deal of memories for me that we can look back on now with a smile.

Happy Wednesday.
It's your turn....do you have a picture to share today?
Linda Kay


20 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Sleeping in a train is different but can be fun.I did several times to Austria. And indeed the sound of the wheels makes you feel asleep.

Mascha said...

What a coincidence - I wrote today about a train too. Not real ...
Real I used to drive by the Soviet Union and Romania, Bulgaria ... but before a very long time.
(today neither money nor necessary health - ) Well, let's dreaming!

Cherdo said...

The drawing looks like last week's Art assignment - perspective!

Betsy Adams said...

I love trains too, Linda Kay. My Dad worked for the railroad --so we had 'free' passes to ride the trains back then.. When I was 8, we went from VA to CA for my brother's wedding... Even though I was young, I do remember that trip well...

I also rode to college on the train... Such great memories.
Hugs,
Betsy

TexWisGirl said...

i have never ridden a train. :) well, except the subway in nyc.

Anvilcloud said...

Nice artwork for a boy that young. I haven't been on a train in a long time.

Michelle F said...

Linda Kay,

I have always loved trains.
I have several stories of my own I should share. But, we are preparing to make an emergency trip to Fl. They are giving my mom one week to live. She has sepsis and her throat is closing up.

That is an awesome drawing.
At first I didn't realize there were train tracks. I saw the poles which reminded me of beautiful crosses. xoxo

Revrunner said...

That did add perspective. :-)

bj said...

Oh, my...trains played a huge role in my childhood and I have some awesome memories of them. Too many to talk about here...ok...it sounds like I need to do a I LOVE TRAINS post soon. :)
I so love how we bloggers feed off of ea other...a fav part of blogging for me. :)
The drawing is wonderful....

Tom said...

I remember studying perspective in art class years ago. Tom The backroads Traveller

Mike said...

I remember doing perspective pictures in school. A long time ago.

Gosia k said...

Nice story.Did you visit Poland in 1993.

Romi C said...

Thank you for sharing your memories, Linda. Somehow, trains make us feel nostalgic, don't they?

William Kendall said...

My time on trains has generally been on the passenger trains from my part of the province into the southwest part of the province to see family.

Create With Joy said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us - I always thought it would be cool to ride on a "real" train!

The Yum List said...

Wow! That's great that you still have such drawings from his childhood.

Andrea said...

I remember doing perspective drawings as a kid, but am fairly certain mine were never as good as that one! I have never traveled for a long distance on a train, but imagine it would be fun (minus the sleeping attempt though)

Carola Bartz said...

The drawing is fantastic!

I love trains. Whe still living in Europe I used to ride trains a lot - it was so convenient and efficient. The high speed trains are wonderful and connect the major cities. Last summer we rode the Eurostar from London to Paris, a mere two and a half hours ride and just 25 minutes under the Channel. It's amazing.

Maggie said...

Such great stories and memories to hold dear.
Fascinating.

orchid Miyako said...

Dearest Linda; Beautiful picture, my friend. I had been used train during high school day and until married to the printing firm I worked as a typist♫♫♫ Very nostalgic for me too.

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...