Saturday, May 2, 2015

Better Tomorrow


Image result for Charles F. Kettering

I noted Patricia's quote for this week: "You can't have a better tomorrow if you are thinking about yesterday all the time." by Charles F. Kettering. So I thought I'd look into this man to see why his quote is meaningful.

Mr. Kettering is a pretty significant individual, actually. He was an inventor and held 186 patents. He founded Delco and was the head of research for General Motors from 1920 to 1947. You can read more about him on Wikipedia by clicking on the link. Pretty impressive, right?

Interestingly, he is also recognized for many quotes.

"Thinking is one thing no one has ever been able to tax."


"There exist limitless opportunities in every industry. Where there is an open mind, there will always be a frontier."

"Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas and progress."

"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."

It would seem to me that Mr. Kettering is a great example to us for his frame of mind and his representation of successful living. I think I'll just keep these quotes in mind as I look at what is ahead of me in my tomorrow. I'm currently writing a novel about two individuals who have to put yesterday behind them to arrive at a fulfilling relationship, so this quote is timely for me. 

What does your tomorrow look like? Do you see a favorite quote to put on your refrigerator?

Have a wonderful weekend!  In Other Words

Linda Kay

20 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

He seems like a smart and decent guy.

whiteangel said...

That's so true what he says - get on with life and don't think about what might have been yesterday...

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, I enjoyed all of these quotes from Mr. Kettering.. He was a smart man..Have a happy weekend!

Rebecca said...

Don't spill the beans or the govt will try to tax thinking. Maybe that's why it is done so little of the time!

TexWisGirl said...

how awesome. i have always liked that blank calendar page, myself. :)

Gosia k said...

interesting personality

Tom said...

Interesting quotes. Tom The Backroads Traveller

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I think he was nicknamed "Engine Charlie" and was famously quoted as "What's good for General Motors is good for the country."

Terri @ Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Ditto what Rebecca said- I can see the government trying just that very thing.

DeniseinVA said...

A very interesting post Linda Kay, and what an interesting man.

Gwen said...

Wow, we must be sniffing the same air this morning. Your topic is VERY close to the one I just published! Great minds think alike? ;)

Cherdo said...

My favorite quote:

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

William Kendall said...

I do like what he has to say.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I like the first one -
["Thinking is one thing no one has ever been able to tax."]
to which I would add -
'give them time.'

Mike said...

I'd say Kettering was not afraid of failure.

Hannah said...

His forward-thinking ideas would foster creativity, dwelling on the past usually just results in misery. Very inspirational.

Patricia said...

I had no idea who Charles Kettering was or what he did. Thanks for telling us a bit about him. He probably never had a failure...he would have just thought of it as a learning experience and moved on.
Thank you for linking up with In Other Words and sharing your thoughts.

Linda said...

This is very true.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

That was very interesting! Thanks!

Josie Two Shoes said...

It was great to hear a little more from Mr. Kettering and it does give us an idea of his mindset, Linda. I liked the quote about starting with a new page in life, I believe so much that every day we can wake up and start again, we aren't bound by the past, even if it happened just yesterday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...