Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Mountain Lake

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


This picture has been taken down from my guest bedroom wall. As I looked at it, a little story came to mind.

The weather was perfect for a picnic by the lake on this wonderful summer day. Sandy and John stopped by the grocery store to pick up some roasted chicken and potato salad, then drove across town to pick up their friends Walt and Evelyn. With a cooler of wine, beer and sodas they drove to the lake. There, surrounded by the mountains, others were also gathered to enjoy the water, the boats, and the warm spring breezes off the lake. The trees around them were beginning to leaf, and flowers were blooming.

Sandy laid out a blanket on the ground. She and Evelyn began putting out the food for everyone to share and poured a glass of wine for themselves. Sandy thought she heard a noise in the bushes behind the trees. Out of the bushes and headed directly for the food, a bear cub appeared. Frozen in silence they all looked to one another for response. Walt was the first to speak.

"There has to be a mama bear nearby. We need to head for the lake!"

All of them abandoned the food, the blanket and the cooler and started for the lake. The little bear stopped at the food. Roaring out of the bushes came the mother bear. She was in hot pursuit of the four of them. Others stood up along the lake to see what was happening and everyone headed for the lake water. It seemed to be the safest refuge from the very angry bear. The water was cold as they swam out to put some distance between them. 

At the water's edge the bear stood up on her hind legs and roared a warning to all of the swimmers. Then she turned toward her cub, glancing back just once to make sure they all knew she meant business. Together they finished off the food at the campsite, then wandered off into the woods, the swimmers all watching them go. Shivering, they all finally left the water to return to their cars. 

What started out to be a beautiful spring day had turned out to be one of their scariest experiences. It would be a while before they would return to that spot for a picnic. And they would certainly be watching for the animals!

Have you had an experience with a wild animal unexpectedly? My daughter and son-in-law were chased by a bear on a hiking trail at Big Bend. Not it's your turn. Got a picture you can write a story about and share with others. Just post a picture on your blog, write your story, and link back with me on this post. Have a wonderful "hump day"!

Linda Kay

17 comments:

Mascha said...

What a horror!
Our friend from Russia told us, like the bear came to the tent and has eaten all the butter stocks. They had watching that from the other side of mountain...

As a young child we met a rabid fox. But my father took me fast in his arms and we fled. He has not bitten us, luckily!

Have a quiet day without bears.

eileeninmd said...

What an end to their wonderful day! I have watched bears from a distance and always felt safe. But, I did not have food on me. Enjoy your day!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A raccoon invited himself to our picnic once. He stole the buns.

TexWisGirl said...

yikes! thankfully no bear encounters for me.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Yikes, that would be scary! I haven't had a close encounter like that, and hope I never do! It is easy for people to forget that we are visitors in their space when we are out in nature, and mamas will always protect their young! I am glad no one was injured or eaten in your story! :-)

Carola Bartz said...

That's quite a turn of things - but something one has to be aware of in bear country.
We once had a bison walk through our campsite in Yellowstone and ate dinner in the company of bison in a campground in Badlands. And on Vacouver Island some animal scouted around our tent when we were the only ones in a campground. I don't know what animal it was, but it left us in peace. We never have food out when we're camping.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Been chased by a Narcissist - does that count?

I really like your photo and story.

Gosia k said...

nice story I am going to write next week

William Kendall said...

Very inspired, Linda!

I remember sitting once on a clifftop in one of our provincial parks, looking down at a lake below, and out of the corner of my eye saw movement. A wolf came out of the woods and was looking out at the view further down the cliff. He looked at me, I looked at him, and we both looked at the view. And then he went back into the woods.

Banana Oil said...

Just so it wasn't a grizzly.

The Yum List said...

I'm always attracted to these beautiful forest in the USA, but frightened too as I'd want to avoid seeing a bear at all costs.

Mike said...

When I come down to visit I'll want you to put that picture back up.

Romi C said...

I love to watch bears on TV, but I hope I'll never encounter bears in person. When I go hiking, I always take a bell with me.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a frightening experience!

I have full respect for wild animals and fear bears and mountain lions the most. They are in the foothills above our community and so we have to be careful.

I also fear rattlesnakes and I watch where I step very carefully when I hike on a trail.

Kay said...

OH MY GOSH! That is just so scary! We saw bears at Yellowstone a couple of years ago. It was a mama bear with three cubs. We rolled up our windows and stayed in the car, of course.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Wow! What a story!
I need to remember to join in here. I wish you had a Subscribe by Email button. That would really help!

widia faridah said...

Obat hepatitis anak

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...