Tuesday, May 5, 2015

My Mother

I'm sure I have talked some about my mother, Wilma, and there is a link to the book we wrote together when she was 81. Since Josie has posted the words "mother" and "memory", I'll share a couple of memories with you. (Thanks for hosting Two Shoes Tuesday, Josie).

Looking at this picture, it almost brings tears to my eyes, as after almost 12 years since her death, I still miss her. Wilma was a perfect match for my dad, and they were together from their first meeting when she was just 15, he 18. They dated for six years and married in 1940, celebrating 61 years of marriage before his death in 2001. 

I was the second child of four, all boys but me. So Mother and I were very close. She taught me all the household duties expected of a girl/woman, but she also was a great example of working outside the home. When my older brother went to college, she went to work at a hospital in the occupational therapy department. 

When I think of her driving to work every day to the hospital in Lincoln, Illinois, about 30 miles from our home on the farm, I have to smile. She had a bit of a lead foot, and my dad and brothers used to really tease her about it. I do remember one day when she came home from work, she was pretty shaken. A storm was taking place, and the sky was very black. We found out later that she had passed through an area that was to be a path for a tornado, just a few minutes behind her. Too close!

Another incident she talked about was when she had car trouble just a few miles away from the house. She stopped at a neighbor's house to get assistance and to call my dad. This neighbor lady was not your stellar housekeeper. Mother said there was a bottle of syrup tipped over in a cabinet, dripping syrup onto the shelves below, and the phone was very dirty. She said she wasn't sure whether to put gloves on or leave them off to use it. 

We share many experiences, and she was always open to any concerns I might have had. She loved her husband, her children, and her friends, and almost always had that warm smile on her face. Thanks for the memories, Mother.

Happy Birthday to my hubby today!

Linda Kay

34 comments:

Cynthia said...

Such sweet memories of your mother for you to treasure. She looks like she was a happy person if one can judge by a single photo, almost like she has a happy secret. Happy birthday to your hubby!

".E." Lizard Breath Speaks, It's Beth said...

I was thinking how much the both of you look alike. I love precious memories. So perfect & fun to look back on.

Happy Birthday to your hubby. Hope you can celebrate lots in honor of the big day. ( :

whiteangel said...

Happy birthday to your husband and I hope he has a wonderful day.
Nice memories of your mum...

Anvilcloud said...

Poignant memories for you. My mother has also been gone for 12 years.

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed these stories of your Mom. Mine has been gone for nearly 20 years and I will always miss her. Happy birthday to your husband.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's nice to read about your memories. I sure need to write more of mine down. Happy Birthday to your hubby. And thanks my friend for the sweet comments...they make me feel better. Hugs, Diane

TexWisGirl said...

she sounds like a strong but gentle woman. my mother possessed strength, too. bless the women who loved us.

Lin Floyd said...

moms and gloves-that was a whole different era!

bj said...

Well, first of all..bwaaaaaaaa...
I miss my mama and she has been gone 26 years...we never get too old to miss our mama.
Yours sounds like a pretty perfect mama. So was mine. :)
Happiest Birthday to your sweetie.

Cherdo said...

What a sweet memory and tribute to a lovely lady. Wilma, I salute you and thank you for our Linda. Fine work, ma'am. Fine, indeed.

Happy birthday to Mr. Linda. :-)

Mike said...

This got me thinking that my mother has been gone for 25 years. My Dad 20. Time flies...

Gwen said...

awww, thank you so much for sharing memories of your mom with us. I'm sorry for your loss, even after all this time.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Your memories prompt memories for me. Moms are so sweet - and so missed (smile).

Hope your husband has a cheerful day!

Gosia k said...

Mother is the most important person in our life

Jeanne said...

Hello Linda Kay, I am late with my visits this week but I am so glad I had the chance to read about your mom. I know she was a wonderful mom and wife. I still miss my mom too and she too was a lot like your mom in so many ways. We are blessed to have mothers that gave us so many wonderful memories.

Happy birthday to your hubby.
xo,
Jeanne

Linda W. said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dear Mother!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That is a moving tribute to your mother!

William Kendall said...

Thank you for sharing those memories. We never stop missing them, do we? My mother's been gone two years now.

Michelle F said...

Linda Kay,

I may have said this before, your mother is beautiful! Such wonderful memories we have of our mothers. I had my first, very vivid, dream of my mother last night. We were in her craft room, it looked just like it always had.

This evening we are celebrating my hubby's 15th anniversary working with the local hospital.

We are really not sure what to expect with online directions that read, `When entering Chase Park, continue around back to blah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blah. Free, on-site parking is available.`

I told our guys, `I think it is a joke`

Linda Kay, I kid you not..

http://www.athenscottonpress.com/contactus-1/

The Yum List said...

She sounds like a wonderful lady.

Val said...

I can see the twinkle in your Mom's eye in her photo. I miss my mom who has been gone seven years. I am so happy, as I am sure you are, for the memories we have to share. I still miss her every day.

Old Egg said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. How important it is to hold on those memories with such affection.

Tom said...

A lovely lady! Tom The backroads Traveller

Josie Two Shoes said...

Awesome memories of your mother that give us a tiny glimpse of who she was. Not only did she show you how to carry your role as a woman, but also as a participant in the bigger world outside the door at a time when women were just beginning to step out more. The wonderful person you have become is a lovely tribute to all that she was!

Romi C said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful tribute to your wonderful mother.

Rory Bore said...

Aw, thank you and I am so glad you shared those beautiful memories of your mother with us! She sounds so much like my grandma, I feel I almost know her just with these short stories.
I wonder if she would have been able to beat that tornado, if she had a lead foot? I know my grandma tried to outrun rainstorm once, but unfortunately, she was driving an old John Deere tractor!! LOL

Happy Birthday to your hubby!

Mrs Tiggywinkle said...

A lovely, heartwarming post, Linda. Hope your hubby had a lovely birthday. x

Abelle | The Wows! And Oops! Of Life said...

Aaaww. Such a sweet post to remember your mom. Memories don't die, aren't they? ;o)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty photo of your Mom. Sweet memories and a lovely post.. Happy belated Birthday to your hubby!
Enjoy your day!

Carola Bartz said...

Will we ever stop missing our moms? Mine died in 8 years ago and I still miss her. These memories of your mom put a smile on my face. She must have been a wonderful woman. However, driving with a tornado just minutes behind her sounds scary - no wonder she was shaken when she finally arrived home!

Paula said...

Happy birthday to your husband. The story about your mother was interesting too. She was a beautiful lady.

Rebecca said...

MEmories are wonderful. Love the untidy housekeeper story.

orchid Miyako said...

Dearest Linda; I was almost in tears thinking my own mother pasted away before becoming 70 years old. Your mother looks so sweet and elegant♡♡♡ So happy to read that she could avoided the tornado.
Yes, bless all loving mother in the world!!! How I wished to be the one :-)

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Terra said...

Nice words about your mom, I still miss my mom who died in 1971.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...