Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Picture Story Wednesday

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


This picture is hanging in my dining room, and here's my story about it. The Tea Table



She invited me for tea. The summer sun shown brightly as I drove out into the country and down the long winding lane to her summer home. Rose bushes and fences with vines lined the gravel path.  Dust kicked up behind me in soft clouds, as I thought of how my car would have to run through the car wash on my way back home. Why had she called me to join her? We hadn't talked for some time, although we had been friends for many years. I smiled as I thought of her in our college days. She was so beautiful and confident, while I was the more studious and quiet one. The boys would always turn to watch her walk by, admiring her stature and her engaging smile.

Jolene had married her college sweetheart who had gone on to become a successful lawyer. He kept her in beautiful clothes and accessories. She loved the summer house as a retreat for her painting and writing. Then one day she called to tell me they were getting a divorce that was mutually agreed upon. She would keep the summer home. Her paintings had garnered some recognition in the city, and it resulted in shows that began to pay off for her. An agent had discovered her and helped to launch her first novel. It was good to see her achieve her goals.

I pulled up to the front of the house and walked to the front door. She opened it before I could even knock, offering me a strong embrace before showing me to the back veranda. The tea pot and cups were already placed on the beautiful white table cloth and the scent of roses engulfed me as I sat down. The aroma of the jasmine tea completed the setting. 

From the corner of my eye, I saw a man approaching from inside the house. At first I was curious, then dumb struck as I recognized my husband. He came through the door and sat at the table opposite me. With carefully chosen words, they told me that they wanted to be together; that he wanted a divorce.

My throat constricted so that I couldn't utter a word, as tears began to flow. My friend, my husband, betrayed. My feelings were in shambles. I rose from the table and deliberately poured my tea into his lap. Then without missing a beat, I walked out to my car and drove away, leaving them to stand together on her front porch. The tears became sobs. How could they do this to me? I have been so dumb to not see what was happening! 

The roses that appeared to be so beautiful when I came now seemed to be dark shadows, ghosts pointing and laughing at me. 

How would you complete this very short story? Have you ever felt betrayed and angry and felt tears you couldn't stop? Tomorrow will be a better day.

That's my story for today. Now it's your turn to find a picture and write your story here.
Linda Kay


17 comments:

HOOTIN ANNI said...

You always leave an intriguing story!!! I was enthralled. Ghosts and all.

Carola Bartz said...

You have a way to write your story that I just want to go on reading. Although this is a sad story... I just read a book with pretty much the same story line, however, with the big difference that I didn't like the I narrator for a very long time of the book. This is not the case here. I hope that she gains her strength to get through this.

When I was 25 or 26 I experienced a horrible betrayal. I felt this physical with real pain. It was terrible. But deep down I knew that I was a strong person and would somehow get through this, but it was a tough time.

Val said...

I did not see that coming. How sad, but how angry "you" must be. Tea in the lap is little revenge. There has to be something more, some release of the anger to temper the pain. Love your writing, Linda Kay.

TexWisGirl said...

a wonderful (heart-wrenching) twist to the story, linda.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Your stories start out gently, then pack a punch that woke me right up this morning! :-) Nothing is worse than getting broadsided like that, especially when it involves two people you love and trust, and what a cruel way to share the news with her. It should have come from her husband, who is obviously a coward. Better to be rid of him!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That story of betrayal had real kick to it!

Mascha said...

Ohh no, I did not expect this turn of events :-(

I've often felt helpless, alone, betrayed (not with a partner, but there were people, who say's they were my friends - ) ... do not understand so often these situations -

Sorry, I'm sick (since months, but once better and now worse again), I haven't managed today to make a post...

Gosia k said...

great story

William Kendall said...

Uh oh... with the way I'd write, revenge would be the next logical step.

Mike said...

She should have dumped the tea on her head.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I don't think I have a photo of a Glock surrounded by roses. Maybe if I Google it?

Linda said...

Great story, Linda!

The Yum List said...

What a pleasant impression having a 'tea table' gives. The idea of siting around, enjoying each other's companying while nibbling on treats and sipping tea, in my books feels like a lovely luxury.

Lexa Cain said...

Well, that's just so sad. Reminds me of the Elizabeth Taylor / Bobby Fisher / Debbie Reynolds thing. Sometimes life just isn't fair. Since I write horror, I'd have the heroine go home and fake her own death, leaving all the clues pointing at her husband, so he'd get put in jail instead of marrying the two-timing friend. Then the heroine could jet off to Bermuda to live incognito, happily ever after. lol

orchid Miyako said...

Dearest Linda; What an experience you've been through. How tough it must have been to overcome your sad feeling! For my bad English ability, I never guessed the story goes on like that. I had a bad experience kind of betrayed by my friend. Humans...
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Linda, can you email me with your rules for this meme? How does it work? How long is it open? When do you post the prompt? I am looking for writing memes. Thanks!

Grantham Lynn said...

Wow. What a sad and fabulous story. It sure wasn't what I was expecting! Thanks for sharing. I think I might come by Wednesday and share. Smiles

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...