Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Country Home

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


If you regularly stop by my blog, you know that I use this day as a writing exercise, so here is my picture for today's post. This picture hangs in my guest bedroom among lots of antiques and old photos.
The Country Life

"I found a place for us to live in the country!"

My husband was animated and took both my hands in his. His job was very stressful and living in the city didn't help much. Having been raised on a farm and enjoying the solitude of country living, the adjustment to city life had been very hard for him. I, on the other hand, was a city girl. Living away from the city and to not have all the conveniences I was used to was more than I could imagine. But I couldn't bring myself to argue the point, seeing his excitement.

We took a drive that evening to see the property he had found. The house was reasonably priced with lots of possibilities for upgrading. Outside the back door there was a small shed on the edge of a beautiful pond. Spring was in the air. Some of the trees still held the last leaves of fall, while others were still barren, awaiting the buds of spring. The mountains around the house were snow-capped and blue gray in the distance.

Tom literally hopped from one room to another, looking at the scenery outside the windows. "Can we put in an offer? What do you think?"

I nodded my head in approval, all kinds of issues arising in my mind about how far it was to the grocery, that I had no neighbors nearby, that I would be lonely. Maybe the deal would not happen, and we could stay in our city apartment.

The offer was accepted, the deal closed and we made our move to the country. We had to get a satellite dish to get service for the Internet and our television, but I was quickly online for my job as an insurance analyst. Each day when Tom left, I felt abandoned and alone in the country. Then one day I walked out to the lake, noticing that the trees were beginning to bud and that the birds were singing loudly. I took off my shoes and dipped my toes into the water, which was still a bit cold. The fish were swimming around near the shore. I went back into the house and began to write a story about our move to the country and suddenly felt alive with the freedom and peace that was around me. 

Have you ever anticipated fear and disappointment only to find joy in a change in your life? If you have a picture to share and a story to write, be sure to join in now and share with our fellow bloggers.

Linda Kay

14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, nice story to go with the lovely picture.. Living in the country is peaceful..have a happy day!

TexWisGirl said...

i kind of related to this tale - except i was the one who grew up in the country and wanted to return, even if my husband was a city kid.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm a city kid also, but I relish visiting the country at the mountains or shore.

Mascha said...

That's a good story! Often we learned the positive things only later...
I've linked up an old story, sorry, I've not managed today something new. Writing in English takes many time for me.

Mike said...

The country, the land of no HOA's.

Gosia k said...

great story

William Kendall said...

A lovely pic, and I like how it inspired you!

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Neat story and I love the art work!

Grantham Lynn said...

Oh what a great story illustration of the picture. I did link. I hope you like what I did. A little different that yours.
I hope we get links! Thanks for offering this little party!

Sorry I was so late in posting. I was just too tired to write it last night and schedule it!
Have a great Thursday.
Sherry

The Yum List said...

That's a lovely painting. It has great depth.

bj said...

Pretty picture...and story.
I am not really a country girl..always lived in town and when we moved right outside the city limits, I thought, "am I going to like this?" We are so close to town and all paved streets, I don't feel as if I'm in the country at all...we are very happy out here...

Rory Bore said...

this is the dream!!!
we are a little bit country where we live right now, but a spot like this is beautiful and amazing and I'd love to be that close to nature all the time!!
I love how she was inspired by the simple beauty around here and found new energy and outlook on life in it. :)

Carola Bartz said...

It's a dream of mine to live in the country, a dream I know will never turn into reality. I'm not a real city girl - I can't imagine living in a real big city. I need nature close by.
Beautifully told story, Linda. I hope I can join Wit and Wisdom again next Wednesday; I need time to write my story.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Such a lovely story for such a beautiful place! There was a time I might have found it too remote for my liking, now I love the peace that comes with being further away from neighbors and closer to nature. Your story bears a good message - so often we are certain we aren't going to like something different or new, but if we give it a chance we might just find it to be much more than we anticipated. Change is often a good thing, now worse, just different than what we had before!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...