Wednesday, June 24, 2015

South Dakota WWW

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #23!

Here's my picture story for this week.



Many of you have read the stories of my neighbor in Little House on the Prairie. The Wilder home and the historical site are in DeSmet, just a short distance from my home place in Lake Preston. Their story was much like mine when I was growing up. We had very little in the way of worldly goods. And we worked very hard to take care of our property and raise our crops. The old barn you see in the picture here kept our milk cows, horses, some sheep, and the hay to feed them during the winter, which we harvested from our fields. 

In the picture at the top right, the old grain shed is still standing. In there we stored corn and other grains to use or sell, and it also had an area for hanging our beef to age and pork to smoke. 

The building at the bottom right was the old machine shed, where Pa kept his plow and other tools used to harvest the grain and make repairs. 

We lived not far from a little school house in Hetland, which is now nearly a ghost town. There is an elevator for grain and a few buildings still standing, including the old school house. On winter days it was very cold out, but we had to walk the three miles to school, all bundled up in our winter coats and boots. 

When you read the stories or watch the television shows of these challenging times on the prairie, you can think of me in my homestead as well, as all of our lives were very much the same. Each season offers its own special adventures and memories, and every winter is brutal and cold. We grew up strong and healthy with dreams of land of our own.

What special memory do you have that is brought back when you see buildings from your childhood?

Now it's your turn. Find a picture, write your story, and share it with others by linking to this page. Have a happy Wednesday!

Linda Kay

10 comments:

Mascha said...

It reminds me about many novels, that I've read about living in States...

TexWisGirl said...

my favorite line: every winter is brutal and cold. :)

Mike said...

I don't live far from where I grew up and drive by our old house just to see how things are going.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

My old house in New Orleans is just a memory.

Linda W. said...

What a great story! I grew up in Western S. Dakota but made frequent trips to the east side. I read those "Little House" books many times.

Cherdo said...

What a beautiful life! Love the pictures.

Gosia k said...

your countryside looks completely from Europe

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I inherited my parents' home. It's so peaceful.

William Kendall said...

Of course winters are supposed to be brutal and cold. It builds character.

DeniseinVA said...

Nice memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...