Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tuesday Coffee Chat



Leslie, or Rorybore at Time Out for Mom posted a challenge to address 10 items on a list to share with bloggers, so I thought I'd give it a shot for this Tuesday. Here's the list:



1. Nickname: My dearest old friend, LaVerda has always called me "Linnie", but I've not had that used by many others. My mother used to say "Linda Kay" when she was trying to get my attention, but I really don't even have a middle name. My hubby seldom calls me Linda, but rather "Sweetie" most of the time. If he says Linda, I think he is angry with me or something. So I guess it could be a lot worse!

2. Eye color: Very blue, and all my children and grandchildren have steely blue eyes. Image result for blue eyes

3. Hair color: Dishwater blonde with highlights. My hairdresser says there is no gray as yet, so I'm still bringing life into the drab blonde. 










4. One Fact: I spent my professional life in accounting, banking, and earned my CPA just before I turned 50! Although that designation opened many doors for me in my career, I have trouble shaking the image still, as when people find out I have the accounting background I'm a prime target for a treasurer job with some non-profit organization. 

5. Favorite color: Blue, not just any blue, but really cobalt blue. This is the color you will find in many places in my home, as I've collected them over the years. The next one would be brilliant yellow, combined with the blue. It makes my heart sing!





6. Favorite place: We have done some extensive traveling to Europe, and have been blessed with being able to see some of the most beautiful sites in the world. However, when we were deciding on how to celebrate out 30th anniversary in 2015, we chose to return to Camden, Maine. With the water, the lighthouses, and the lobster, this stands out as probably my favorite place to spend time with my hubby.

7. Favorite celebrity: I'd have to pick two in different genres for this one. From the movies, I so enjoy Julia Roberts. And I like the fact that there isn't a lot of press about her personal life, as she keeps it more private than many. Her recognition comes from her roles in acting. From the music industry, I would select Celine Dion. We got to see her in Las Vegas, and I was mesmerized by her energy and her voice, after hearing so many of her recordings prior to that. She has also handled her career discreetly, taking time away to care for her family.

8. Favorite animal: I love my dogs, for sure. We have had Schnauzers, and Maltese, and finally now our Yorkie/Maltese mix dogs, Izzy and Polly. Izzy is almost 13, while Polly just turned 2. They are a joy to have around. Izzy (actually Isabella) is still in reasonably good health, while Polly is still a bundle of energy.

9. Favorite song: "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Grobin, 














or the "Theme from Titanic" by Celine Dion. And I loved the movie, by the way.

I started taking piano lessons when I was in third grade, and was always taught to sight read, so I can't play without music in front of me. In high school, I added organ to my lessons and played for my church as a teenager. I don't play much anymore, but bought myself a baby grand many years ago and took lessons to get back my timing, etc. I still enjoy playing for myself. Music is a big part of my life.

10. Favorite Book: This is a tough one. I've read many and enjoy those that have a bit of mystery, such as James Patterson and Brown (DeVinci Code, etc). But I think the one that has stuck with me over the years is the book "Heidi". I even named my daughter after her.
Note the description in Amazon.
Heidi embraces the sufferings of rejection and the rewards of genuine love.It shows that people do need each other and that we are all capable of forgiveness. I am told the story was built on real life experiences of a Swiss family. The description and characterization is excellent. At times you can smell the smell of the pine trees and visualize the old log cabin of Grandfather. It takes the reader back to the days before electricity and even before telephones, which in itself provides the reader with an understanding of their place in history.

So there you have it. As you consider some of these items on the list, what one thing would you like to share in the comments to this post?

Linda Kay

21 comments:

whiteangel said...

Nicknames are interesting. It intrigues me how they come about.
never heard of hair being described as dishwater :)

knitbakecultivate said...

Its nice to find out a few things about you Linda, and yes, I don't blame you for keeping the accountancy background quiet, you would be roped in to all sorts of committees. My favourite animal is a kangaroo. So unique and fascinating the way they move at such speed and so agile on two feet. I am a little bit obsessed with them!

Saucy Kodz said...

"Keep accounting background" secret as long as you can - you are right .....way too many groups would want you. H-m-m-m, by the way, you wanna move to my town - we need a new treasurer for the Boys and Girls Club. :) I am familiar with all that you mentioned in the way of music and books. Love the blue eyes, as all in my family are same, cept ME (Green).. Nice to learn 10 things about you "Linda Kay" from "Lillian Ruth". Have a wonderful day. Lilly

Lin Floyd said...

Iwas originally named Linda Lee but when I got divorced, I changed my first name to Lin...that felt like starting a new life. Now I've been Lin for 23 years almost a third of my life. Though many of my older family members still call me Linda-so it feels lie I have a split personality...lol!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Linda Kay, it is nice to learn these new things about you! Dogs are my favorite animal too. Have a happy Tuesday!

Anvilcloud said...

This is an interesting post. I tried the fiddle a bit as an older guy, and I was an odd mixture of sight reading and playing by ear and did neither very well.

TexWisGirl said...

no middle name - that's quite unique! in texas, it seems most folks GO by their middle name. :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is such a fun idea and I've learned some more about you. I also have bright blue eyes and had blond hair...now it's silver. I love cobalt blue, too! Enjoy your week sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

Gwen said...

Great way to get to learn more about someone! Think I'll do this tomorrow myself...thanks for the great idea!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That is an interesting way of getting to know you better, Linda Kay!

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Linda Kay - such a nice post! Honestly, I cannot listen to the theme from Titanic without tearing up. The strong voice of Celine Dion is amazing, made more so by the restraint you uses to maintain softness in the first half of this song. Thank you for sharing it today, (smile).

I add, you have the most beautiful blue eyes!

DeniseinVA said...

That made for a lovely read. My favorite book was Heidi also.

Rebecca said...

No grey?! Ugh, in the past couple years the grey has been creeping in more and more. My mother never had a grey hair in 82 years and never colored her hair. I did not inherit that gene. I got all the unlucky genes.

William Kendall said...

Well, my favourite colour is black, which reflects itself in my wardrobe!

Cherdo said...

This is a great idea! I wish every blog I followed did this, as a matter of fact. Good job, Linda!

Grantham Lynn said...

Great post. I enjoyed learning more about you. I like Julia Roberts too The Cowboy and I have watched Pretty Woman many times. I will have to watch the video. I am being hounded at the moment by a dog. It is outside time and then dinner! Thanks for sharing this it was fun.
Have a great week.

Nonnie said...

I too loved the book Heidi and recently re-read it. I always thought it would be so delightful to live high in the mountains and go out with Peter and the goats, eat chunks of cheese and bread, and sleep in a loft with the window looking out at the stars. I really enjoyed this post and all you shared.

Mike said...

Cobalt blue is a great color.

The Yum List said...

Oh, how to pick a favourite book! That would take me quite some time to decide.

Cynthia said...

That is one of my favorite songs, too! It surprises me how many people don't know it. I enjoyed getting to know more about you.

Rose said...

I really enjoyed reading your ten things...I won't say Heidi is my favorite book, but I do love the name and I have read it many times. And just hearing you mention it makes me want to read it again...and I have been wanting to read Tom Sawyer again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...