Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Owls Head

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture as a writing exercise.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #28!

We drove out to Owls Head Lighthouse last Thursday to get pictures (I'll post some later), and on the way back, we found this little old and secluded cemetery. These are the pictures for my story today. (Only parts of it are true)

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Name's Nathaniel Merriman. This is my family cemetery, just a stone's throw from the Owls Head Lighthouse. The lighthouse was built up on this hill as a beacon to ships passing through the channel here on their way to the docks. It gets really foggy in this area. I was born in 1809 here in Owls Head. My family originated in England and came to Maine in the 18th century. Most of my family made their living as fishermen, and some as religious leaders. Life in my time was very hard, but we managed to make a living between the lobster boats and the raising of vegetables. The winters here are very cold and snowy, but in the fall the leaves turn brilliant colors. And there is always the sea, so blue and vast. In the Spring the fishing season opens, and the lobster and various other species are plentiful. Even in my time, visitors came to our town on vacation from other parts of the country to enjoy the peaceful scenery and cool weather. Summer is warm and pleasant, seldom hot and humid. The sea breeze cools the evenings. I hope you will come back to visit again. I enjoyed fifty-eight years and a good life in Owls Head Maine.

Now it's your turn. Do you have a picture that brings a story to mind? Just post your picture and the story on your blog, then come back to link in for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom. You can write a story or a poem, or just a short observation. Have fun with the writing challenge.

Linda Kay

12 comments:

Mary said...

Hello Linda - I made it here at last and will try to come back each week as I love a little challenge where photography and writing are involved!
Your story is lovely and certainly resonated with me. I'm originally from one of those English seaside towns - was just there a few weeks back - and I know many people left the fishing communities of Devon and came to America, either to New England or here to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
Have spent time in Maine - used to live in NH and MA - but Maine's beaches were always our favorites.
Happy day - Mary

eileeninmd said...

Hello Linda, what a great story on Nathaniel. Owls Head Maine sounds like an awesome place to live and visit. Enjoy your day!

Cranberry Morning said...

I love coming across old cemeteries like that. Sometimes there's not even the remains of a church nearby and they're out in the middle of nowhere. But they're so interesting. I like to imagine the lives of the people who used to live there.

Marie C said...

What a wonderful perspective for a story! I loved how you drew us into the life of this man. I have always loved old cemeteries, especially historic ones. I always wonder about their lives, these people who lived fully and passed on, and are now barely remembered, if at all. You wrote this beautifully too. I really enjoyed it!

Thanks again for this great meme...I'm having a blast! The story today is true...my grandmother's trip out west. Our daughter has the wildflowers Grandmother pressed that my Mom had framed. She was being brought to our house here in Tucson to visit us in the early 80s. It's a special memory, and I have her little journal from the trip.

William Kendall said...

A good way to breathe some life into someone long past. The cemetery looks peaceful, Linda.

Gail said...

Thanks for giving him voice.

Theresa said...

Sounds like an interesting place to visit.

Mike said...

No family cemetery in my family. We're scattered all over the place.

Gosia k said...

Linda your graveyards are completely different from Europe very lovely and charming and survived for a long time

Grantham Lynn said...

Oh what a great post. I would love to repost it at Alphabet Thursday.
Your not doing that are you? Well I am doing a series for this round called America The Beautiful and I am writing about little known cities. It would be perfect for letter 'O'. We're on K this week.
I'll try to write a story and get a post up for your linky.
Hope your having a fabulous time. XXOO

TexWisGirl said...

rather poignant piece.

Cherdo said...

Am I weird that I like to roam around very old cemeteries?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...