Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Cabin in the Woods


Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture as a writing exercise.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #30!

Here is my picture and story for this Wednesday:
I had watched her walking, her shoes worn and her face almost invisible under the hood of her jacket. Routinely, she would emerge from the forest and make her way to the local grocery for some supplies, which she then toted back into the forest, following some invisible path. What was her story? I had asked this question many times, but no one wanted to talk about her. They said she was a witch, a crazy person, and to stay away from her. 

But on this particular day, I decided to follow her. Keeping a safe distance, I kept her in sight as I walked through the briers and brambles, the thorns tearing at my pants. We seemed to have walked for more than a mile before I saw the shack up ahead. Windows were broken out and the door stood open with no visible way of closing it. She stopped and looked behind her, as though she had heard me, and I ducked behind a tree. Silence. No sound around me or from the house. 

Quickly, I made my way to the side of the cabin, staying low and hopefully out of sight. My heart was beating so hard I was afraid she would hear it. What would she do if she saw me? I closed my eyes tightly, imagining all sorts of persecution for my snooping. Slowly I raised up so that my eyes were just over the sill of the window. A fire was burning in the hearth across the room, and I saw her shadow as she moved about the cabin. Then suddenly she turned toward the window, her eyes fierce and her finger pointed in my direction. "Go away and don't come back!" she shouted as she ran toward me.

I turned and ran for all I was worth back through the forest to where I had entered. I thought she was chasing me, but she was nowhere to be seen. When I went to bed that night, there were thoughts of the old woman and how she might come to find me in the night. And I still don't know her story, do you?

Have a wonderful Wednesday. I look forward to your stories!

Linda Kay

17 comments:

Blogoratti said...

An interesting story and photo, thanks for sharing!

Gosia k said...

As usual fantastic

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day!

Cranberry Morning said...

Wow, that suspense really draws me into the story! Great writing. Thanks for sharing it.

Marie C said...

How neat that we both had "cabin" stories this week! Loved your story! I enjoyed the tension as the story built, and the mystery of the old woman. You did a great job! What fun! Sorry I didn't link in last week...Mom didn't either, because she's been on a trip. I was home, but just overwhelmed a bit and didn't get to it. I enjoy your meme very much and hope others will join in, and that you will continue it for a long time! Have a great week!

fishducky said...

Enjoyed your story!!

Tom said...

Needs a paint job! Tom The Backroads Traveller

Linda said...

Wonderful story and great photos, Linda!

Gail said...

well done!

There's a frog in every picture, maybe just eyes above water.

Thanks for visiting.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A nice, enjoyable post!

William Kendall said...

Effectively spooky!

The Yum List said...

Ooh a bit of a spooky chill in this one!

TexWisGirl said...

nicely done.

Grantham Lynn said...

Interesting/spooky story and photo. I will try to get something posted before the linky runs out. I'm not sure when it ends.
My minds been on other things. I've been in the sewing/closet for the last few days. The good news is I have a Fall quilt finished well the top anyway. I'll quilt it on the weekend. Hope your having a great
trip.

Mike said...

This is the beginning of the next episode of Criminal Minds.

Rory Bore said...

^^^^ LOL - I was thinking very similar to Mike... that you should write for TV mysteries!!
and as scary as she sounds, I want to know her story too!

as a photographer though, I love taking pictures of old barns, and abandoned buildings. just so much character and history.

Amy at love made my home said...

A good mystery!! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...