Friday, September 11, 2015

Friday Look-Back

It's been a week of more landscaping, shopping, dental work, movie going, etc., etc., so I thought I'd share some pictures with you.

1. The back side of our shadow box fence was put in place, making the new boards stand out since they weren't yet stained. In addition, hubby built some brackets to mount some lattice work for vines he intends to plant. These were made of treated lumber, which of course did not match the cedar.

So my job was to first stain the braces a "red cedar" to get them closer to matching the stained fence, then to finish staining the new boards that show up in between the stained boards. I found a nifty little stain sprayer to do the job, and really finished pretty quickly. Just have to now add the lattice work to two more places on the fence.


2. My older daughter decided we needed some retail therapy, so we drove to San Marcos to the discount mall to go to our favorite stores: Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, and Soma. We filled up the cart....actually she filled up most of it. She was on a mission, and I was just along for the ride to spend some time with this very busy lady!

3. Remember by unhappy visit to the new dentist, and then my follow up on Monday about my real dentist? Well, the article that told about his harrowing experience and the loss of part of his leg also said he would be open for business this week. So I called and left a message to tell him I'd sure like his opinion on what I needed done. Needless to say, he thought I need much less work, and at a much more reasonable price, bless his heart. I already have a temporary crown in place. He has a great sense of humor. I mentioned that he had lost weight. He said he lost some in the hospital and then sixteen pounds when they took his leg. He is really getting along well, and a prosthesis is being made.

4.  Part of our landscaping will be completed with mulch in the planting beds and around some of the rock. Since the city won't let the landscaper put anything in the street, they had to deposit it on my driveway until they could get it dispersed into the beds.

5. We called our friend Coleen to see if she would like to go to the movie with us to see "A Walk In the Woods" with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte.


The story line is great and the acting is pretty good, being that Robert Redford is in it, but I think he needs to retire. Nick Nolte makes the movie. RR is not the heart throb he once was, for sure, and his lines left something to be desired. Just a nice movie then off to Burger Burger here in town for a great hamburger with onion rings and sweet potato fries.

And for all my writer friends out there, I thought I'd share this with you as well.
Joining in with Amy at Five on Friday, and Tanya at Willy Nilly Friday 5. Be sure to check others random Friday thoughts!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Linda Kay

28 comments:

Blogoratti said...

Hello and thanks for sharing. Best wishes!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

You did a great job staining the new fence! And the trellis is nice, too!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your new fence looks great. I can just see the prettty flowers growing up that trellis. I have been wanting to see that movie too, maybe next week! Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

The Furry Gnome said...

Your yard is coming along well. I like the fence.

Anvilcloud said...

WITWoods was a great book, particularly the audio version because Bryson has such a way with him. Interesting that you liked the movie as I have read a pretty bad review.

mamasmercantile said...

You did a great job on the fence and I loved the Author poster statement, wonderful.

Latane Barton said...

Busy Lady, I really liked that last graphic of the writer and their books. Sort of hit home for me as no one who has never written a book has a clue what goes into it... your time, your energy, your thought process, your heart and then someone buys it, maybe reads it and then tosses it aside. Oh my.

Gail said...

Much wonderful progress seasoned with just the right amount of fun. I think I would call this a great week.

And you could have connected with Good Fences!

William Kendall said...

That'll be quite an adjustment for your dentist, a prosthetic leg.

TexWisGirl said...

bless your dentist!

Tom said...

#1 Busy folks.
#2 Shop until you drop!
#3 Oh boy!
#4 Get going guys!
#5 Perhaps I should see it.
Tom The Backroads Traveller

Marie C said...

The fence is awesome! What a great job! Love the writer's graphic...I can borrow that, right? :-) Loved your Five, though I got interrupted in writing this comment and now my mind is blank! Sorry!

Rose said...

Oh, I love that thing about when you buy an author's book...I am sure that must be so true.

Gosia k said...

your fence is very nice and the tree next to it. Love from Poland.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Your landscaping is coming along nicely. I agree with you about Robert Redford. I had the worst crush on him, but now he's not the same man he was 20 years ago.

Ida said...

1. Nice job on the fence.
2. Shopping is fun but tiring.
3. Always good to get a 2nd opinion.
4. Looks like more work
5. I want to see this movie. I'm a big Robert Redford fan.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Lovely fence. I know how good it feels to complete a project. You have been busy. hoping Wintertime, I can slow down and read a book. Have a great weekend.

Amy at love made my home said...

Things are going well in your garden aren't they! So much progress being made, you must be delighted. I am glad too for you and your dentist that things tooth wise are improving! Thank you for joining Five On Friday! I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

Mike said...

When you get your yard done what are you going to do for fun? Time to build another house!

Mage said...

Just wonderful bullet by bullet stuff. :)

Nicki said...

The fencing is looking good and honestly I can't remember the last time I saw something with Robert Redford in it - thought he had hung up his spurs long time ago.

eclectichomelife said...

All your hard work in the garden will pay off dividends. Looking great already

Saucy Kodz said...

Never was a RR fan, however, heard some good comments about movie and I shall watch it when it comes this way. Great how your property keeps growing with beauty. Really enjoyed that last tidbit about writers and books. I have experienced that feeling of sadness, when someone receives a book, looks at the cover and tosses it away in frustration, not even giving the writer a chance. I, myself, give that chance for a new book is an opportunity to discover story tellers. Have a great day kiddo.

Lexa Cain said...

I'm amazed at the busy week you've had! The fence looks great and I'm sure the land will start looking greener soon, too. Shopping with your daughter sounded fun, and so did a movie with friends. Thank goodness that poor dentist is recovering well, and that you got to see him. Have a great weekend!

Kay said...

The fence looks great! Too bad about the Robert Redford movie. I saw About Time on the plane and loved it.

Lilly's Mom said...

Your new fence is lovely. I'm excited to see your beautiful landscaping when you are all done. Have a wonderful week.

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

Wow the fence looks wonderful. I bet that mulch smells good too! I'd like to see that movie- I agree RR needs to retire. I guess they need a few extra million in their pocket every so often!

Tanya Breese said...

ha, i just came from latane's blog where she talked about seeing the same movie...i was wanting to see it too! your fence looks great and i am happy to hear your dentist is doing well...that has to be a hard adjustment...thank you for linking!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...