Friday, September 4, 2015

Friday Reflections

Since we have our "five" memes back on line again, I thought I'd share some of the events of the week with you. Join in here with Fives on Friday! and join in for Willy Nilly Friday 5.

1. We have ordered two of our trees for planting. We took down a big oak tree and several small, spindly cedar trees when we bought the property, so now we are putting in two chinese pistache trees. Since the trees have to go dormant at the nursery, we can't have them transplanted until January, so we will have empty spots for a while yet. These trees grow really fast, and are quite lovely, as you might see from the pictures.

2. Last Sunday afternoon was my Do -it- yourself assembly day. Hubby is working on a work bench in the garage, so I'm in charge of these. So first I laid out all the parts and the instructions, and grabbed a Phillips screwdriver. The first project is a fire pit for the patio.

Ready? Drum roll!!!  Ta-dah!


3. My laundry room has wonderful cabinets, but no place to hang clothes out of the dryer. So I decided to get something to remedy that situation. Here are all the parts, and no screwdriver needed!

My new little hanging cart even has wheels, so I can roll it from the laundry room with all the clothes hanging, folded clothes in the basket in the bottom, into the bedroom for the closets and the dresser. Yeah! Can't wait to do laundry next.


4. Ugh! Dentists! I am a white-knuckle dentist patient. When I was a child, I had to climb so old wooden stairs to an upper floor of an old building in my small town to see the dentist. The stairs echoed as I climbed them, and I was greeted by the odor of the dentist office, whatever it was. The dentist was a huge man with thick black hair on his body...scared me to death! In any case, when I had my teeth cleaning this week, I was told that some of my old silver fillings are making small cracks in my teeth, and they need to be crowned....3 of them at $1400 per tooth! And I need a deep cleaning, $500 per side. Yikes! Anyone got some spare change around?

5. Here is my Friday share from my Facebook friends....
Have a super Friday, and fabulous weekend!

Linda Kay

32 comments:

Abhishek Ghosh said...

Wish you get the troubles sorted out and cheers for the engineering skills

biebkriebels said...

You are a very handy lady!

Anvilcloud said...

I am old enough to remember getting fillings without freezing. Now my main problem is getting my mouth to open as wide as Dr Dentist would like while he crams all sorts of things in there.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the trees is pretty! And I love the fire pit and your new hanging cart for the laundry. And I had a nice giggle over your facebook funny! Thanks for sharing! Have a happy weekend!

Blogoratti said...

Really nice, looks great!

Gail said...

Much progress. Doesn't it feel great?

Tabor said...

Hang in there. YOu are certainly busy with many things to do and think about. Love the meme.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

don't run too fast...I want my favorite people around me

Lea said...

Very nice fire pit and laundry cart. Love the funny cartoon!
As soon as I get to the dentist, I say put the gas on, even if its just a cleaning!
Lea

whiteangel said...

All looks good.
Gosh, teeth can be expensive to keep in order. Good luck with that.

mamasmercantile said...

The cartoon made me smile and brightened my day. Loved the fire pit and the new laundry cart.

Latane Barton said...

Boy, did I get a chuckle out of that cartoon. I know a lot of folks that need to run... I wonder if I am one of them? hehe

Mike said...

A girl and her phillips screwdriver. Sexy!

Tom said...

#1 Do they have nuts?
#2 I only read the instructions after things don't go together.
#3 Looks old school to me.
#4 Dentists all drive nice cars.
#5 Great friends!
Tom The Backroads Traveller

Lin Floyd said...

no one tells you when you get fillings that they don't last forever---have to be redone and crown eventually. its not fun. but your new house looks exciting!

Hannah said...

I put together a fire pit too, not so fancy though. The tree sounds lovely. We may all need to run for it. Have you heard of oil pulling with Sesame or Coconut oil? That can help with the gum problems.

TexWisGirl said...

i have one of those clothes racks in my laundry area but it doesn't have rollers, but i use it all the time. :) i like your fire pit. have thought about getting one here but don't want the danger of sparks heading to the grass near the pond. used to have a chiminea i enjoyed on the deck but it cracked and fell apart.

William Kendall said...

Very handy indeed!

I still remember the dentist we had when I was a kid. I wonder if he's still around... he had an association with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Gosia k said...

Your house and setting lokks lovely.

Lisa from @intotheglade said...

Ha! I love that cartoon, very funny indeed! I have those clothes rails in my loft, they are so handy to store out if season clothes too. Your fire pit is great! X

Amy at love made my home said...

Thank you for joining Five On Friday! Your new trees will be lovely when they are in the garden and in leaf again, you can sit by the fire pit and enjoy them! I hope that all goes well at the dentist for you, I hate them myself, but you and I are not alone in that are we! I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

Beatrice Euphemie said...

You are quite the handy-gal! I have a fire-pit but we didn't use it once this summer because of the fire danger in our drought. Love the facebook funny :) Karen

Big Sky Heidi said...

Nice trees! And that fire pit is beautiful!

Rose said...

Way to go on your DIY projects...always feels good to do something for yourself. I loved the facebook thing...

Ida said...

1. - Nice looking trees. Are they flowering?
2. - Good job with the fire pit. I'm usually not good with written instructions (depending on how complicate they are).
3. I like that clothes rack.
4. Wow your dentist is even more expensive than mine.
5. Very funny and I can't run very fast anymore.

Lexa Cain said...

That comic really cracked me up! You did a spectacular job with the DIY projects. They look like they came direct from the story that way. Dentists - ack! They're a horrible necessity. Good luck with the trees, and have a lovely weekend! :)

pattisjarrett said...

I'm with you on dentist visits. Said goodbye to my silver fillings, too. I'd much rather spend the money on something else! I hope to have a fire pit one day, still waiting on the patio! ;) Your laundry cart looks handy. I had a similar rack but have three steps to navigate from the laundry room. It was nice to have somewhere to hang things, though. Have a safe and happy weekend.

Terra said...

That breaking news from FB is funny! Sorry about your upcoming dental work, and expensive at that. You did a good job of putting your projects together.

orchid Miyako said...

Dearest Linda; Oh, Do -it- yourself days for two items☆☆☆ It is funny that no space for fire pit in our tiny yard and for the clothes rack inside the house, either(^^;)
So sorry about the dentist, I DO scared for going there after some bad experiences. Thinking about you for the easy treatment.
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Jo@awholeplotoflove said...

I'm no fan of the dentist either, my childhood one was a sadist! xx

Marie C said...

Oh I love those two do-it-yourself projects! I would love to have both of those myself! And the dentist....I wouldn't get that deep cleaning. Sounds like he's gouging you. In fact, I would get a second opinion about those crowns too!

knitbakecultivate said...

Well done on the furniture assembly. Always a challenge I find. You reminded me we are all due for a dentist visit. The kids are fine, it me who is frightened to death! They are so expensive arn't they. Good luck with it all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...