Wednesday, September 16, 2015

New Orleans

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday! Can you believe it is September?!

Here's hoping some of you, my faithful readers, might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture on your blog, then write a short story or a poem about the picture as a writing exercise.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #35!

My picture today is of a painted piece of slate taken from a building in New Orleans, and it brightens up my kitchen.

Carla climbed the painted green steps up to her room in the old building. Wisteria vines hung from the eaves, their purple blooms beginning to fade with the approach of autumn. Despite the aroma of the flowers, she felt heavy inside and tired from the day of hard work. Her small dog, Josie, greeted her as she unlocked the door to go inside. Picking up Josie's leash, she clipped it onto her collar and made her way back down the stairs for a short walk. 

The air was getting cooler, as she noticed the humidity was also much less intense. They made their way down the street, walking toward the park at the end of the block. She heard the laughter of children as they neared the playground equipment area and smiled at a coffee vendor in his little kiosk. A park bench beckoned her to sit with Josie. Her mind was many miles away, thinking about loneliness. Her family was in Chicago, and Joe had left her here in New Orleans. What was she thinking to leave all that she had to move with him?
There had been signs, but she ignored them, thinking that happiness was in her future. 


Sounds from Bourbon Street wafted through the air, the familiar jazz playing in the bars and restaurants. The noisy parade was making it's way through the city, with tourists all decked out in beads and buttons. These joyful sounds only made her sadder. She reached won and petted Josie. A man sat next to her on the bench and unfolded the top of a bag of bread crumbs to feed the pigeons.

"Mind if I join you here?" Josie looked over at him and noted his clothes were neatly pressed, his shoes polished and expensive. 

"Okay by me. Do you come here often?"

"Usually every day. I find it a nice break at the end of the day. What about you?"

"Me, too. Just come out after work to walk my dog, Josie. She likes to watch the kids and the birds."

"Maybe I'll see you here again tomorrow then?" He stood and tucked the small bag into the pocket of his suit jacket. "Name's Carl." He offered his hand.

"I'm Carla, nice to meet you." His handshake was warm and firm. Then he walked away.

Carla began her walk home. Her mood had changed dramatically, and she had just walked to the park. 

Now it's your turn. Find a picture that speaks to you, post it on your blog along with a story, then come back here and link in to share with others. Also be sure to see what others have written. This is your writing exercise!

Linda Kay




11 comments:

Val said...

Hey, LInda, I linked up this week. I really like your story. I'm dying to get to New Orleans. A good friend lived there are never felt quite at home. Here's hoping there's some promise of good times to come in Carla's life.

Val said...

Help, Linda, by mistake I submitted twice. Sorry.

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like a new friend has been made. Great story, Linda!
Have a happy day!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

An interesting beginning, which really catches the atmosphere! I hope it leads to romance!

William Kendall said...

Creatively adapted, Linda!

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

This sounds like the begiining of something very nice. A book, perhaps?

Big Sky Heidi said...

Whether a short story or a full length book, it has a nice beginning!

The Yum List said...

New Orleans has been on my bucket list for sometime. Nice to read a story inspired by an artwork from there.

Grantham Lynn said...

I hope in a couple weeks I'll get to really write a story.
I think I want to use todays post theme for a real story.
Company coming tomorrow so need to get back to spiffing up the house.
I'll visit and read your post on Fri.
Hope you have a great party.
Come over and Link The Linky!
XXOO

Mike said...

Josie will save her.

Rory Bore said...

I could see this so vividly. Smell the flowers, feel the heat, and hear the jazz notes. Some Charles Mingus started playing in my head! :)

I hope her and Carl get to be friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...