Monday, October 19, 2015

Lighthouse #2-Owls Head

We drove several miles and then walked a bit of a distance to view Owls Head Lighthouse in Maine. This first picture is from below the lighthouse looking up. We did climb to the top to see the view. Linking in today with Sally for Blue Monday.



And from our Lighthouse Tour at Sea


This from one of the websites about the light house:

Owls Head Light was built in 1825. The short, brick light tower sits atop a steep rise near Rockland Harbor. The keeper's house is down a set of stairs from the light; the house is used by a Coast Guard family. The station is inside Owls Head State Park, which is open to the public. Tales swirl like fog around this famous light. In one story, a lightkeeper's dog saved a distressed mailboat by barking continuously when the fog bell was buried in snow. In another tale, two lovers were trapped in a wrecked schooner during a vicious storm. The lovers were frozen together in an icy embrace; the light keeper rescued and thawed them. The lovers were later married. 

Feel free to click on the link to read more about this wonderfully preserved site. And for those who love to write, be sure to find a picture and write a story for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.

Linda Kay

31 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

My knees ache just looking at those stairs.

Hmm, sounds like my legs are doing the looking. lol

Revrunner said...

One could get an excellent aerobic workout on those stairs.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The way up to that lighthouse looks long and steep. It's beautiful!

Linda said...

How lovely!

Margaret-whiteangel said...

Interesting history of the light house. I followed the link and read it.
It's certainly a great one...

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

happy Monday :O)

eileeninmd said...

I love the lighthouse, it does have some interesting stories! Pretty images! Have a happy new week!

Lea said...

The view of the lighthouse from the sea is very pretty!
Have a great week!

b.."E"..th said...

loved our trip there n gosh what year was it?? don't recall. love lighthouses. ( ;

Patti B said...

I just love lighthouses. We have quiet a few here in Florida but I've never been to Maine. It seems like the most interesting places to go are a walk UP! Visiting you from Blue Monday link up.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Beautiful, Linda!
~

SmilingSally said...

Hi Linda Kay,

What impressive shots! Thanks for sharing.

Happy Blue Monday!

Nonnie said...

Do you think it's really possible for two people frozen together to thaw out? Wow! What a story. I love lighthouses and one of our bathrooms is decorated in lighthouse theme.

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos, I love the look of a lighthouse. Such pretty structures. There was one time I could walk to the top but not so sure these days :)

Amy at love made my home said...

You know that I always enjoy seeing your lighthouses! xx

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful! love the stairway up!

Gosia k said...

Interesting lighthouse to visit

The Yum List said...

That first shot makes me want to climb the stair to the top.

Tom said...

Light Houses are such photogenic subjects!

Mike said...

Did you get to go into the lighthouse?

allenwoodhaven said...

A very nice lighthouse and interesting stories!

Ida said...

That's a beautiful lighthouse. I would enjoy visiting there.
Thanks for your comment on my blog post. Yes, being grounded in faith is very important.

Annesphamily said...

So beautiful and very calm and peaceful. I could use that in my life right now. I appreciate you posting this, thank you. Have a wonderful week.

Gemma Wiseman said...

That's quite a climb up to the lighthouse. Gorgeous setting.

William Kendall said...

You'd be getting plenty of exercise in that lighthouse every day!

podso said...

That's a beautiful lighthouse photo and such a blue sky. Those stairs look like a climb but I'm sure the view from the top was wonderful.

Grantham Lynn said...

Wow what great stories! I love the dog story. Believable.
But frozen lovers. Hmm.
Thanks for sharing.
See you Wednesday.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love lighthouses and enjoyed seeing this one and hearing its tales.

Cynthia said...

Nice name. It's nice to know there are so many of them left on our coasts.

Kay said...

Awwww... I love that icy, romantic tale.

orchid Miyako said...

Dearest Linda; What beautiful gorgeous sight 'Owls Head Lighthouse' has♡♡♡ I enlarged the pictures and LOVE the stairs as well. Made me wish to go up the light house, which I've never experienced :-)

Thank you SO much for your sweet visits, Dear friend. Today was my late father's memorial service and expecting busy weekend ;-)
Take Care under the autumn changeable temperature weather, Dear friend.
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...