Wednesday, October 14, 2015

October and November Memories

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday! September is fading fast!

Here's hoping some of you, my faithful readers, might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture on your blog, then write a short story or a poem about the picture as a writing exercise.  When you have your blog written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #39!

October brings to mind many memories of beautiful scenery and wonderful harvests from my home state of Illinois. My mother wrote of her memories in the book "Flavors From the Past", which you will find on my top bar of books. 
"Halloween was not a celebration that I remember as a child, other than it being a religious observation at the church (All Saints Day). We didn't drfess up, nor did we go house to house for tricks or treats.

One of my memories of fall is the pumpkins and squash. We grew these on the farm, sometimes planting them out in the cornfield, as they took up a lot of room for the garden. We would peel the pumpkins and the squash, and then can them. We just mashed the pulp of the pumpkin or squash, and packed it in a pint jar, which would be the right amount for a pie. I remember especially the long neck squash. They produced so much squash that it took only a few to get a good batch. I don't remember when I ever carved a pumpkin for Halloween....the pumpkin was for food."

Pumpkin Bread (my Grandmother's recipe - Elizabeth Weiland)

3 cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
2/3 cup water
2 cups mashed pumpkin
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 cup nuts
1 tsp vanilla.

Beat eggs well, and add sugar, oil, water, and pumpkin, beating after adding each ingredient. Sift flour, soda and spices, and mix well. Add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla and nuts and stir. Pour into greased loaf pans, and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Makes three loaves.

Give the recipe a try. Grandma would be pleased! I'm linking this to Grantham Lynn for the Linky Party.

Now it's your turn. Find a picture that inspires you and write an entry in your blog, then come back and link in. This is a writing exercise for those who want to practice!

Linda Kay

21 comments:

Val said...

There is nothing that smells or tastes better than the fall pumpkin baked goods, be it bread, muffins or pie. The recipe sounds delicious. I bet I could use canned pumpkin. I'll let you know how it goes.

Gosia k said...

Thanks for recipe i would like to bake it

Gosia k said...

Thanks for recipe i would like to bake it

Gosia k said...

Thanks for recipe i would like to bake it

Gosia k said...

Thanks for recipe i would like to bake it

Margaret-whiteangel said...

Receive I shall copy and make. Thanks.
I never knew about Halloween when I was a child..today it's not done much at all here in Tasmania..

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It sounds like a great recipe, and I like pumpkin bread. I'll try it in honor of Fall.

Tom said...

Sounds good to me.

Mariette said...

Sounds delicious!

Marie C said...

Fall is my favorite season, and I don't get to really enjoy it here in Tucson. I love the smells and colors and the crisp air. Your pumpkin bread recipe sounds delicious...I will give it a try!

William Kendall said...

Pumpkin in bread, pie, or muffins is very, very tasty!

Banana Oil said...

This recipe is a must for me. Thank you!

Mike said...

Being a city kid pumpkins were for Halloween.

Hilary said...

sounds delicious!

Grantham Lynn said...

Looks Fabulously yummy. Come over and link your post and link your party too!
Daisy wrote you a story today!
Hope you have a great party.

Cranberry Morning said...

That pumpkin bread sounds wonderful. Glad she included nuts! I'm thinking of hosting a family old fashioned hymnsing on Reformation Sunday. So many churches have choruses rather than the great old hymns of the faith which are full of doctrine and the faithfulness of God. We try to do this every month but missed September.

Aisyah Rizki said...

Hopefully with this can provide improvements to the current web I manage and can produce for my future sales.

Kebiasaan Setelah Berhenti Merokok yang Harus Dihindari

The Yum List said...

Mmm... I love pumpkin bread. Thanks for sharing your recipe. :-)

Linda said...

Believe it or not, I have never tried pumpkin bread but I will have to now. Thanks, Linda. :)

Grantham Lynn said...

Thanks for linking!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great recipe, I think I have the same recipe minus the Vanilla and it is really really good! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...