Friday, October 30, 2015

Plants and the Deer


  • I wish I could get a picture of the dear deer that are snooping around my landscaping at night. They have discovered our new plants! Some of the plants, they obviously have no interest in. But others become victims. I know they are hungry, as we had so much drought. The good news is that many of our new plants are already showing flowers!

Mint Marigold (the leaves are like Tarragon) 

Yellow Bell Esparanza 

Honeysuckle bush - the deer ate some of the blossoms 

Orange Esparanza 

Mexican butterfly weed 

Purple lantana

Nothing left on my bougainvillea, so sad. Will have to move it to the back yard.  

Tiger lily leaves seem to be really tasty!

  • Carson won't make it to our house for Halloween, but I took him a Trick or Treat bag and a glow stick with some candy and cookies this week. The neighbors have warned us. The traffic for Halloween in this neighborhood is heavy. Better get lots of candy.


  • I'm so excited to have my very special retractable clothes line to hang sheets and such outside. It's too long to stretch tight, so we have to use a prop in the center. Don't you just love having sheets on the line. They smell glorious! 
Have a special Friday, my friends. Got my candy ready for Trick or Treaters tomorrow night!

Linda Kay

22 comments:

Lea said...

Deer eating flowers are a problem here too.
Have a great week-end!

Gosia k said...

In Europe deers are also the serious problem in the spring

Margaret-whiteangel said...

Clothes usually go on the clothes line outside here too...except for odd winter's day...
Lantana, a weed here...or it can be.
Your flowers look good, let's hope the deers do no more harm.

eileeninmd said...

Your plants are lovely, it is sad that the deer love to eat them. The deer here loved our daylilies. :(

Have a happy day and weekend!

biebkriebels said...

Sad to see all your plants eaten by the deers.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

funny...I have the urge to visit my friendly neighborhood garden center.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The flowers are beautiful, especially the Mexican butterfly weed. Have a nice weekend!

Tabor said...

Wish we had trick or treaters...but that is the price one pays for living in the woods in the country. No little ones and also no leftover candy to have to eat!

Anvilcloud said...

You will discover what plants will work for you. I guess you already are.

Lin Floyd said...

some people put chicken wire around their plants or just discover which ones the deer don't like...

Kay said...

I'm glad deer is one problem we don't have in Hawaii. It's mostly slugs and other bugs.

Mike said...

The one picture doesn't look like honeysuckle to me. It looks more like trumpet vine. Anyway, honeysuckle is an asian invasive species. It will take over everything thing and kill other plants through its root system. We have honeysuckle removal projects in our city frequently.

William Kendall said...

Very pretty flowers!

Revrunner said...

Nice to know you're feeding "the herd". Trick or treat! :-)

Nonnie said...

I would enjoy seeing the deer and I do feel sorry for them. However, I wouldn't want them to eat my plants. Can you find something to plant for them and other plants that they don't like? I especially like (not to eat) the esperanza, lantana, and bougainvillea. I noticed our neighbor had some of that Mexican butterfly plant that you have and I like it. The bunnies enjoyed our sweet potato vine.

Tom said...

Careful plant selection helps prevent having a deer buffet. Last winter our weather was awful and deer ate things that they had never touched in the past.

Grantham Lynn said...

One of those many things I miss. Gardens and clothes lines!
My son fights deer and rabbits.
We are having rain. It was a monsoon this morning. Poor Daisy couldn't go out with me at 7;30 but the Cowboy took her out about 8:30 I think. I had to leave him a note. I felt sorry for her but she would have hated it. The sun is actually out right now. but I know it won't last long.
Have a great weekend and stay dry.

TexWisGirl said...

some nice blooms coming in, even with the sneaky deer!

Amy at love made my home said...

Perhaps the massed trick or treaters will deter the deer! I hope so! For the sake of your plants.... xx

Linda W. said...

Bummer about your flowers. My parents have deer in their yard too and they have to put a fence around their garden. Enjoy the little goblins tomorrow night!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your lawn is like a salad and dessert bar for the deer:(

Janie Junebug said...

It's nice of you to feed the deer. Perhaps you should plant more of what they like. I used to have a retractable clothesline. I loved it.

Love,
Janie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...