Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday at Random

I'm going to join in with the Friday memes today with an assortment of thoughts to share with you. Thanks to Willy Nilly Friday Five and Five on Friday.

1. Our Sunday School class wanted to do something special for a person in need, so we set out to take care of a yard that had overgrown and needed some serious trimming. 
Before
After

2. Hubby's shop building is under construction.


3. The following article was posted in my home town paper, the Delavan Times. I don't remember this building at all. The article is from November 23, 1882. 

"Mr. John Warne, the genial proprietor of the Delavan House, now has things running under a full head of steam and starts out with a good run of business. The Delavan House has been fitted up in good style with new furniture and other fixtures and Mr. Warne promises to keep the best caravansary that the town of Delavan ever had."
I had to look up the word 'caravansary'....it describes a hotel or inn. Such interesting use of words in 1882!
Another excerpt from the paper: "It is (Mr. Warne's) his aim to furnish his tables with the very best the market affords, and believing in the principle that money expended for the comfort and enjoyment of his patrons will be more than returned to him by the increasing patronage to the hotel, is determined to keep the house up as first-class in everything."

4. Found on the back of a tanker truck.  What do you think?


Not sure I'd be interested in "crude drivers".


5. This appeared on my Facebook feed this week, and I hope you enjoy. It takes a few minutes to play, but Josh Groban and Kelly Clarkson sing a duet from Phantom of the Opera: All I Ask of You. This will be on TV - PBS Channel in December. Gives me chills, so beautiful.
Have a fabulous weekend!

Linda Kay

31 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it always feels good to volunteer. To do something special for someone needing help. The weeding is hard work too, it looks awesome. Great post and photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Anvilcloud said...

Congratulations on your good deed.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Great going on the good deed, and setting a good example for us!

Gail said...

What a wonderful thing to do. Thank you.

Pom Pom said...

What a great "five"! Crude drivers. Funny!

Linda W. said...

Good for you for helping take care of someone in need!

Tom said...

#1 Looks better!
#2 Sure is tall.
#3 First Class is Classy!
#4 Playing with words.
#5 Love the Phantom of the Opera:

mamasmercantile said...

The weeding and cutting back looks amazing, a great job. The crude drivers made me smile. Have a great weekend.

Marie C said...

Your re-do of the people's yard was just wonderful. I know how much they must have appreciated it! How kind! And I loved the newspaper article about the man's new business and the building. Wonderful bit of history/Americana. Not sure I want to know a crude driver! :-) Great Five!

fishducky said...

Thank you for that video!!

Gosia k said...

it is a great idea to help someone in need before christmas

William Kendall said...

A very good deed.

Mike said...

How big was the dumpster that you probably filled up?

Ida said...

That was a wonderful thing to help tidy up that yard , it really looks good.
Yeah the "Crude Drivers" thing is sort of weird.
Enjoyable post.

Amy at love made my home said...

Oh the crude drivers made me laugh!! So funny! I hope that all goes well with the shop for your husband, it looks as though it is going to be a great workspace. You did very well with the gardening, there is a massive difference isn't there, I am sure that it was greatly appreciated! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

Mage said...

I like the house now that you can see it. :) Like the shop too. You all are awfully nice folks.

Revrunner said...

Maybe I should apply? :-)

Rose said...

I'm glad I am not the only one who would have to look up 'caravansary.'

I don't know about crude drivers, but I have seen a few rude ones!

How nice to go take care of that yard...and I bet as a group it did not take long and you had fun doing it.

Janie Junebug said...

Josh Groban and Kelly Clarkson are beautiful together. It's nice that your Sunday School class took on that project. I've found that it's becoming more difficult to get a church group together to do something, so I applaud your efforts.

Love,
Janie

Latane Barton said...

That was such a special thing your sunday school class did. I know it was so appreciated.

Rory Bore said...

What a lovely thing to do for someone! And what a transformation too. Great job. Gives it a whole new look.

An incredible song from Phantom, and they did a great job too. So much emotion in that song it always makes me cry.

Cynthia said...

Wonderful music! The house looks wonderful after you and your friends did all the yard work. I'm sure it was much appreciated. The world needs more kindness and good news like this today.

The Yum List said...

What a lovely thing to be part of a caring community.

Lea said...

Hello!
I just dropped by to tell you I made your Lasagna recipe today, and we loved it! Just two of us and we ate half of it! I added ground turkey - it was really good. Thanks for the recipe!
Lea

eclectichomelife said...

Your husband da building is coming along so well. You must be thrilled

Louisette said...

A great idea, best regard from Belgium

Rebecca said...

Kudos to your SS class!

The Yum List said...

Hi Linda, We're in the process of moving our blogspot over to a wordress platform. Please come take a look and tell me what you think. We're still working out the kinks and learning a new system so all feedback is much appreciated. Monica: theyumlist.net

Inger said...

That was quite a transformation, a very good deed.

Nonnie said...

What a wonderful gift! I love it when a group comes together on a deal like that. Well done.

Tanya Breese said...

oh how wonderful! i bet they were very appreciative! i just love that! thank you for linking and willy nilly is ready for this week now if you have one to contribute! sorry i'm running late! have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...