Monday, November 23, 2015

Lighthouse #7 - Franklin Light

On our lighthouse tour, we were able to see this lighthouse from the sea, not usually visible from anywhere on land. This is the Franklin Island Light.


If you click on the link there is more history from the earlier days of the lighthouse, and it would appear that life there was miserable for the keepers.

In 1933, the light on Franklin Island was converted to an automated acetylene gas apparatus, and the station was destaffed. All the structures on the island save the tower and oil house were burned. The fourth-order Fresnel lens was later removed from the lighthouse and placed on display at Coast Guard Station Boothbay Harbor.

Keeper Pottle would likely be pleased that his island home was transferred to the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 1973 and is now Franklin Island National Wildlife Refuge, supporting nesting gulls, eiders, herons, and petrels. As such, the island is closed to the public during the nesting season that runs from April 1 to August 31.
Keepers:

  • Head: William Blaisdell (1849 - 1853), Peter Williams, Jr. (1853 - 1858), William Watts (1858 - 1861), J.W. Farrow (1861 - 1871), Charles A. Dolliver (1871 - 1883), Frank H. Whitney (1883 - 1888), George D. Pottle (1888 - 1900), Edward T. Spurling (1900 - 1911), Eugene N. Larrabee (1911), Almon Mitchell (1911 - at least 1912), Roscoe Chandler (1919 - 1924), George E. Woodward (1924 - 1926).
This is probably my last lighthouse post from our trip to Maine, so I will have to come up with something else for next Monday. Linking in today with Sally for Blue Monday.

Linda Kay

30 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sweet old remnant of the past.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Yay for another wildlife refuge. I love the lighthouse. Great post and images. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I really want to make it up that way.

Lea said...

I am enjoying all your lighthouse photos!
Have a great week!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Lea

b.."E"..th said...

the name sounds familiar but it doesn't look like one we have seen? trying to recall .. it has been years. it looks like it has seen some weather. have a great week!! ( :

SmilingSally said...

Hi Linda Kay,

I am enjoying the lighthouses.

Next week, you can start on blue Christmas, if you wish. That's my plan.

Thanks for sharing.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Happy Blue Monday!

Linda W. said...

It's always fun to see photos of lighthouses from different parts of the country.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, I love lighthouses! Thanks for sharing your pictures. Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

Grantham Lynn said...

Maine is so beautiful. In the summer. LOL. We've enjoyed a few business trips there. I've loved your series.
About the $60.00 that was what she did. I'm still thinking about what I want to budget. It'll be a series. As I mentioned the pantry is full and freezer pretty full. No venison though. Got any to spare. LOL. This is a good time to start. We'll see thanks for coming by and visiting and leaving me your thoughts.
Have a good week and a Happy Thanksgiving. Maybe my Wednesday post will be my pantry. We'll see.

Cranberry Morning said...

Nice! I love lighthouses, and great that this one will be kept in good repair. I enjoy seeing lighthouses on Lake Superior, a couple hours north of us.

About your comment on dogs (can't seem to find your email), yes, they most definitely have instincts specific to their breed. It also explains why my GSD, although also a herder, walked around mud puddles rather than going through them. This border collie/springer spaniel loves to stand right in the middle of them. LOL

Thanks for stopping in. Hope I can find your email so I don't have to pester you here on your blog. Have a wonderful day!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

What a place! Great trip and pics, Linda.
~

Tom said...

Are there lighthouse along the Texas Gulf coast?

Mike said...

Sounds like it was a really fun place to work. Or not.

The Yum List said...

Somebody has probably already done it, but I bet a book on lighthouses and the stories behind them would be very interesting.

Anvilcloud said...

Pretty location if not the comeliest of lighthouses.

Gosia k said...

lovely but lonely

Gail said...

I'm glad after all that rough treatment the place became a refuge.

Revrunner said...

Fun to see these lighthouses.

Hannah said...

It must be a lonely job, plus the wear and tear on your knees going up and down all those stairs. It's great that it has become a wildlife refuge.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

I am fascinated by lighthouses, and have been to many on the Great Lakes. I am fascinated by those who did the job as Keeper, too.
Every year (Nov. 10) I recall The Wreck of the Mighty Fitz on Lake Superior. This is 40 years. Did you see my post?
I hope to be joining your weekly meme. I should have my act down soon! XO.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How beautiful! We would love to travel around and see more of the lighthouses in Florida. What fabulous photos you took of this beauty. Sweet hugs, Diane

Linda said...

Beautiful!

DeniseinVA said...

Lighthouses are wonderful structures. Must have been lovely to see this one from the boat.

Margaret-whiteangel said...

Well weathered lighthouse.
I think most lighthouses keeper would have/had a lonely life, but they would enjoy it, otherwise they wouldn't have done it..

Janie Junebug said...

That's a beautiful spot. I have a Rafflecopter for a giveaway on my blog. One of the books I'm giving away is Sophie Writes A Love Story.

Love,
Janie

Cathrina Constantine said...

I love lighthouses!!! Thank you for all the beauty and info!!!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It is a very attractive light!

William Kendall said...

It really stands out well there.

Christian WeiƟ said...

A great area.

Rory Bore said...

I guess there goes my romanticized notions regarding living in a Lighthouse. But I still think it would be quite the adventure. At least they do preserve and protect these areas now, so that we all can enjoy them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...