Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Reformation

Here's a chance to practice writing skills, my faithful readers, by joining me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture on your blog, then write a short story or a poem about the picture as a writing exercise. When your blog us ready, link up for others to read. Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #43!


Our church (Lutheran) recently celebrated Reformation Sunday...the 499th year since Martin Luther and supporters took a different direction from Rome.


Martin Luther also translated the Bible into German for his countrymen. My older brother, who is a Lutheran Minister, does Luther sermons dressed as Martin Luther may have dressed in his day. Many of these quotes are inspirational yet today:
  • Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. Martin Luther
  • God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone, but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars. Martin Luther
  • I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess. Martin Luther
  • Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/martinluth390009.html#kOWCBqp5rEkZAL35.99
It's your turn. We took this picture of the church in Whittenburg (Lutherstaad in Germany), where Luther's theses are on the wall, and he is buried there. Find a picture of meaning to you, write a story and post it on your blog...then come back and join in. I'd enjoy reading your thoughts.

Linda Kay

17 comments:

Mascha said...

Intersting, that is connected with our town. Before M. Luther had pinned his theses on the wall in Wittenberg, he made a visit in Wernigerode and spok with the abt of our monastery about them.
The monastery is destroyed, it was in a forest where we often walk - as a child I saw still a rest of the stone walls, but the people were putting all the stones away to build fundaments of their houses with them. You can find nearby such houses,it's still visible...
There are my alldays ways...
Have a nice time

(We have many refugees here in Germany now, that has inspired me for my fairytale)

Tom said...

Religion has and continues to take many twists and turns!

Mascha said...

PS: At the place of the former monastery today is a stone with a portraitof M. Luther - I will go and take a photo.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It's a beautiful old church!

DeniseinVA said...

Great post Linda Kay. I am happy I have something to join in with today, though it is a post I wrote at the beginning of the month. Marie at A Colorful World suggested that I add it to your meme. Whenever I feel I have something that fits in I will be back. This looks like a real fun meme.

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed your photos and the quotes :)

Marie C said...

Awesome Martin Luther quotes, Linda Kay! Loved the photo of your church as well.

Amy at love made my home said...

A very interesting post! Thank you. xx

Gosia k said...

The anniverary was calebrated in Katowice, too.

The Yum List said...

I really connect to the quote about the apple tree.

Mike said...

I have a feeling there's going to be a big party next year.

Cherdo said...

Genealogy is a passion of mine. One of my early lines has multiple generations of men named Martin Luther ____ (insert the surname). They must have loved ole' Martin. He was a force to be reckoned with, after all.

Rory Bore said...

I LOVE that one about God writing the gospel in the trees, etc.!!! What a great quote. That's exactly how I feel when I am out in Nature -- I feel so much closer to Him, than I do sometimes in the church.

Louisette said...

It is a wonderfull Church.,greeting from Belgium

retriever said...

Interesting post;Martin Luther was a great man.

b.."E"..th said...

interesting post. what a gorgeous piece of architecture, so amazing. wow wee!! i always wonder how those plans get started? just a small part and blow up from there. i am in awe of the beauty. ( :

William Kendall said...

It's a beautiful church. Next year's going to be a big year for Protestantism in general and the Lutherans in particular.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...