Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Slip



Here's a chance to practice writing skills, my faithful readers, by joining me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture on your blog, then write a short story or a poem about the picture as a writing exercise. When your blog us ready, link up for others to read. Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #44!


Petticoats
                We used to wear petticoats. Maybe we called them slips. Some were full body length with thin straps at the shoulders. With changes in fashion, we began to wear half-slips and felt so free to wear these under our skirts and dresses. The problem with the half-slip was the elastic. No matter how you put it on, it had to go over your head or up over the hips, stretching the elastic and weakening the waistline. Usually just one area of the elastic would begin to unravel. We lived with safety pins.
                Since I worked in banking, we were always dressed impeccably. Men wore suits and ties, and the women always wore a dress, skirt and blouse and those awful stockings. Pantyhose at least unburdened us from the garters, and there were no longer any seams to straighten on the back of the legs. Keep in mind, however, the pantyhose provided a slicker surface on which the half-slip resided.
                In my workplace area, a long walkway ran the distance of the elevators and the hallway to the women’s restroom on our floor. This walkway was visible from all the desks. Whether or not it was true, employees always felt all eyes were on them.
                On one particular day, a friend of mine made her way back from the women’s restroom to her desk, strolling the walkway. I am guessing her half-slip had seen its better day. The half-slip fell to the floor as she was walking. Without missing a step, she swooped down, picked up the slip and carried on as if nothing had happened. In today’s age of technology, a video of this performance would have gone viral. 

No it's your turn! Find a picture, write a story about the picture, and post it to your blog. Then link back here to share with others. It's a fun writing exercise for those of us who like to write. 

Linda Kay

17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

grace under pressure!

eileeninmd said...

I am glad she was able to move on, I would have tripped and fallen.. Great story. Enjoy your day!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Now that is savoir faire!

William Kendall said...

Grace under pressure indeed!

Marie C said...

Loved it! What a great video that would have made! :-) Enjoyed the memory lane post this morning!

Mascha said...

Not all woman are so cool -
I rarely wear conventionally elegant clothes, but once I was wearing a pencil skirt and the zipper burst. No button closure and had not safety pin - the whole day was quite wrong (in another city, no chance to get changed).. Since I have safety pins!

fishducky said...

That's why I ALWAYS carry safety pins in my purse!!

The Yum List said...

I haven't heard that word for years! Not since my grandma used to talk of wearing her slip.

Tom said...

I was never into petticoats.

Deena said...

Cool story! This makes me want to come back to blogging.

Mike said...

Maybe you could recreate that event.... for youtube.

Michelle F said...

Linda Kay,

I love your story.

When I was very young I couldn't wait to grow up and wear a girdle, like my mom. Well, I didn't have to wait long...Yep, in my teens I actually wore them.

Michelle F said...

I just read Mike's response...LOL

Rory Bore said...

Oh my!! LOL
Yep, definitely would have won the internet.
I can't imagine wearing all that stuff. I purposely don't buy any clothing that would require pantyhose, slip, camisole.... that's just too much clothing. (this from the Canadian who will put on 5 layers in Winter - haha)

Lea said...

It happened to me at the Library!

b.."E"..th said...

my Mom & Grandma always talked about petticoats ... it was a in-style kind of them back in the day. or their younger years. i am glad i don't have to wear one but i can appreciate their beauty or cuteness. very stylish. not sure when my Mom when to JMU (but when she did it was called James Madison) they were not allowed to wear pants .. only dresses or skirts. i can not imagine. i love pants ... wear them often. they are my go to outfits. she wore gloves & sweaters ... it was the proper thing for the ladies too do. can you imagine? i know i can't. i would fail terribly. i love the memories. so fun!! ( :

Margaret-whiteangel said...

I remember the petticoat/slip, stocking with seams etc, then pantyhose - yuk! would rather stockings.
My goodness how graceful was that women who lost her slip..I recall seeing a women at the lights when her knickers fell down, she did the same as the lady you described :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...