Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Elf on the Shelf

Here's a chance to practice writing skills, my faithful readers, by joining me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture on your blog, then write a short story or a poem about the picture as a writing exercise. When your blog us ready, link up for others to read. Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #49! One more chance after this week.


Elf on the Shelf:

Some of you may not be familiar with the craze of the Elf on the Shelf. Here is the Wikepedia explanation: The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition is a 2005 children's picture book, written and self-published by American author Carol Aebersold and daughter Chanda Bell and illustrated by CoĆ« Steinwart. The book tells a Christmas-themed story, written in rhyme, that explains how Santa Claus knows who is naughty and who is nice. It describes elves visiting children between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, after which they return to the North Pole until the next holiday season.

My daughter has lots of fun doing things with the elf for my grandson every year. Every night the elf does something mischievous or just funny, and Carson has to look for him to see what he has been up to. And there is some sort of gift if he's been good. Here is the whole layout of the adventure. 

One morning, my daughter had popped popcorn in a pan on the stove. The elf was sitting in the popcorn and had "scattered" popcorn all over the stove and onto the floor. 

Just a thought....the Advent calendar would be a much better tool for the season, in my opinion.

Now it's your turn to write a story about a picture and link back to share with us. Do you have a special Christmas tradition to share?
Linda Kay

11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, the elf antics sounds like fun!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Mike said...

If it weren't for TV commercials using the elf as a theme I probably wouldn't know about it.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The elf story is a great one!

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Oh, my...that elf. He certainly is not behaving! Author Lesley Kagen was recently writing (on Facebook) about this elf and her own grandkids. Several readers felt this elf is creepy. I kind of agree with that. We were always told that Santa has a magic crystal ball. I think I like that better! Merry Christmas, my friend.

The Yum List said...

Merry Christmas. Wishing you memorable time with loved ones.

Grantham Lynn said...

Not that I have any 'real' skills. Today I just shared my heart.
Merry Christmas!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have the vintage kneehuggers at my house..pixies is what we always called them. They are such fun! Merry Christmas sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

William Kendall said...

I have heard of the Elf on the Shelf, but not having kids around, I haven't been in contact with one.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Merry Christmas to you and yours. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

..."E"... Beth Edwards said...

my mom has an elf - it is one that was way before this elf. i think it started way after those days. but he is so cute. what a neat idea. have a Merry Christmas!! enjoy every moment. ( :

Far Side of Fifty said...

Merry Christmas, I like an advent calendar and the elf:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...