Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Piano Lessons



Here's a chance to practice writing skills, my faithful readers, by joining me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture on your blog, then write a short story or a poem about the picture as a writing exercise. When your blog us ready, link up for others to read. Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here. This is #48!





We attended our Carson's recital at Heart's Home Acoustics. Don't you just love the red tie and white shirt? His piece was "Themes and Variations" and he played it flawlessly, accompanied by his piano teacher. It brought to mind how important the arts are in a child's development. Carson is taking piano and guitar and is required to practice each day on each. If you have followed my blog you will also know that he is a well-rounded sportsman as well; baseball, football and hunting. 
Where words fail, music speaks. - Hans Christian Andersen

"I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music."
These are from BrainyQuotes, but they sum up my feelings about music and the arts.  I started piano lessons when I was in third grade, age eight. In high school, my teacher was also an organist, and my daddy bought me a small organ to play at home. Those years of playing piano and organ are a special memory. Unfortunately, while my kids were growing up and our money was scarce, those skills kind of fell off. About ten years ago, my husband and I bought a baby grand, and we both went back to taking lessons to reclaim our timing. I don't have the confidence to play for anyone but myself, but it's a gift to me. 

How about you? Do you play piano or guitar, or some other instrument?

It's your turn to share a picture and a story with us. Wednesday Wit and Wisdom will end this year. I've enjoyed sharing with you and reading your stories.

Linda Kay

18 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Sadly, I don't play.

Margaret-whiteangel said...

I have a piano.
I wore a full sized organ out.
I was taught music when I went to school and passed all my exams which then led me to teach when I had time.
Also I play guitar.
That's the very short to point version :)

Nonnie said...

Congratulations on his flawless performance while looking so handsome!

I believe music is healing too and I don't listen to music as much as I used to. I think I will make it my goal this year to do that. And maybe even get back to my piano!

Cranberry Morning said...

Good for him and his parents! I think that music is so important and learning to read music helps in brain development, making math and other logic skills easier. Yes, I do play piano, although for my own personal enjoyment in figuring out a piece and playing it for me. :-)

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

This is a wonderful story, Linda. I always wished I could play an instrument, but never had the chance to learn. I think music is therapeutic. I know there is a soundtrack for my life. And I am blessed with a very talented musician husband, too.
I am linked up this week. Hugs.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

This is great. One day I will have to check this out. I love your answers and learning more about you, too.
I have to agree, giving back?? To whom? We just need to give the credit & glory to God. It really is all about Him and doing what He asked of us.
Hugs.

Marie C said...

How proud of Carson you must be! A well-rounded young man!

I loved your piece on your piano lessons. Mom gave us lessons for a while when we were children but it just didn't "take" with me. Mother has always loved to play. Music has always been important to her, and to me, though I have no real talent in that department. I appreciate music so much, and even worked at a music institute for several years. Really wonderful post!

Marie C said...

No more Wed Wit & Wisdom in 2016!!! I am very sad. I do understand, though. I have often missed several weeks at a stretch while life intervened, and I know most others have had the same issues. It has never had the following it deserved, either, and I kept hoping it would just "take off." It was a great idea!!! I may continue to write an occasional post on my own, and hope you will as well. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Mascha said...

Thanks for that post :-)

As a child I've always dreamed to play piano, but my mother not allowed. I've bought by my small savings a simple wooden flute (recorder is the English word for it?) and learned a little bit by myself.
Music always had a big role in my life. And Russian songs...

Mike said...

Music fine tunes the brain.

Amy at love made my home said...

I was thinking earlier in the week about writing more and that next year I will have to try and join in with this so that it will prompt me to get on and do some more writing. Always a pleasure to read your stories and so on. xx

Gosia k said...

Carson is a gifted boy definitely

William Kendall said...

I don't play any instruments. My dad, on the other hand, plays four.

Tom said...

The gift of music!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My husband and I both play the piano and I got our Christmas music out a week or so ago. I always like to play the old carols. I'm not very good but I love to play. Holiday hugs, Diane

Rory Bore said...

So sweet and I LOVE his tie. I think it's wonderful that so many kids still learn the Arts - it's so important I believe. For myself, I took piano and guitar as private lessons as a child. I also learned... well, just about everything in school: flute, trumpet, drums and clarinet! My dad was a musician so I guess it was in the genes. But I don't really remember anything but the piano a little by now. I wish we had one so I could teach my kids. I love having music in the house!

..."E"... Beth Edwards said...

aww, i love the tie pattern. so stylish. i know how to jolly old st. nicholas & chop sticks. but sadly that is it about it. i can just pretend. i am in awe of those folks who can play so beautifully. i know it takes time & lots of practice. very cool. ( :

The Yum List said...

This is bringing back memories of piano lessons when I was a child. The lesson itself wasn't so bad, it was the daily practicing that I didn't enjoy. ;-_

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...