Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Eleanor

The quote from Patricia at "Patricia's Place" this week is from Eleanor Roosevelt..."No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

It occurs to me that this inspirational lady deserves a bit of attention on my blog today, as her life is encouraging to many people. She overcame some real challenges and became really involved in the political life of Franklin D Roosevelt, her husband.


Here is a quote from the article linked above. My search at this site included a video talking about her life.


After her husband suffered a polio attack in 1921, Eleanor stepped forward to help Franklin with his political career. When her husband became president in 1933, Eleanor dramatically changed the role of the first lady. Not content to stay in the background and handle domestic matters, she showed the world that the first lady was an important part of American politics. She gave press conferences and spoke out for human rights, children's causes and women's issues, working on behalf of the League of Women Voters. She even had her own newspaper column, "My Day." She also focused on helping the country's poor, stood against racial discrimination and, during World War II, traveled abroad to visit U.S. troops.
For her active role in public policy, Eleanor was heavily criticized by some. She was praised by others, however, and today, she is regarded by as a leader of women's and civil rights, as well as one of the first public officials to publicize important issues through the mass media.
Two more quotes from Eleanor:
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Many individuals come to my mind when thinking of this quote, those who have forged ahead in all sorts of situations, despite the negativity from the press, friends, family, etc. Who can you think of? 

Thanks for hosting this one Patricia!

Linda Kay

24 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, great post. Eleanor Roosevelt was an inspirational and a great lady. Awesome quotes. Have a happy day!

biebkriebels said...

Yes she was a clever, inspirational person.

Gosia k said...

Fascinaing woman with great personality love from. Europe

Gosia k said...

Fascinaing woman with great personality love from. Europe

Jo@awholeplotoflove said...

It's a quote I live by you know. After my earlier years I rebounded in my twenties after hearing it. Fab post & lady x

eViL pOp TaRt said...

She was an inspirational First Lady.

TexWisGirl said...

i cannot imagine her strength back in that day.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like that 'Great minds....' quite, and i fully agree!

Linda W. said...

I too am a huge fan of Eleanor Roosevelt. We need more people like her in the world.

Big Sky Heidi said...

She was a remarkable woman!

Carola Bartz said...

Eleanor Roosevelt was an interesting, highly intelligent woman who still is inspiring many women. I often think of her "fear quote" - Do one thing every day that scares you. Great advice that I think of when I actually have to do something that I am scared of. I wish I would take her advice more to heart and do it every day!

Betsy Adams said...

Great post... Love the quotes from Eleanor Roosevelt--especially the one talking about Great Minds.... These days, the fact that 'small minds discuss people' seems to be so true --with the addition of so much Social Media stuff... Seems like people will just spout out anything they want to without thinking or caring whether people can get hurt. They would never say things like that to someone's face. Kinda sad what Social Media has done --even though, as you and I know, there are some GREAT aspects of it..

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

William Kendall said...

She was an extraordinary woman, and a force for good in the world.

Lin Floyd said...

What I admire about Eleanor is how she kept going in a positive way to help others even though her own personal life/marriage was in chaos!

Gail said...

A lady I have long admired.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Oh, in my opinion, she was much better at being a president than FDR...well, at least the man he was, with other ladies besides Eleanor...she deserved more respect than he ever showed her. Just my opinion as I said.

Anvilcloud said...

For a long time I was confused by 'Franklin Delano' as opposed to 'Franklin and Eleanor'.

Theresa said...

Great quotes and fun post! Have a great rest of the week :)

Mike said...

Always did like the great minds quote. Didn't know it was hers.

Patricia said...

Eleanor Roosevelt certainly opened doors for women. She was a strong and courageous woman who didn't let what others thought to hold her back. Thanks for linking to In Other Words.

Margaret-whiteangel said...

Interesting read.

Rory Bore said...

She was one amazing woman! How anyone could not have her as a huge influence on their life is beyond me.

Amy at love made my home said...

That is one of my favourite quotes and one I have been trying to live by for a while now. xx

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Well written bio on the great Eleanor. She is an inspiration for so many reasons. A great American woman.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...