Friday, January 29, 2016

It's Friday!

Can you believe January is coming to a close already? It's been a really busy month for me, so hopefully February will slow down just a bit. I'll share a bit with you today for Willy Nilly Friday 5 and Five on Friday.

1. Polly got a haircut, and loves hanging out on the Blue Afghan on our small sofa.

2. For you dog lovers, I thought this was pretty cute: (Polly grumbles when I turn over and disturb her in her sleep)
3. Corn Chowder. Someone asked what it was when I posted last week that we were having it for the Soup Group. Here's a recipe, and for you bacon lovers, this is wonderful! Harvest Corn Chowder

1# Bacon
1 Yellow Onion, Diced
6 Large Carrots, peeled and diced
Red Bell Pepper (cut into small strips)
8 Ears fresh corn, cut from the cob
16 oz can black beans
1/2 c. butter
2 T. granulated chicken bouillon
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 to 1 c. flour
2 c. cream
2 qt. milk
6 green onions.

Chop bacon into small bites sized pieces and saute in large pan until almost crips. Add diced yellow onion and cook for 1 minute. Peel and cut carrots, add to pot and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Clean and remove seeds from red bell peppers. Cut into small strips and add to veg. mix. Cut corn from the cobs and add to pot. Fold in drained black beans. Saute until the corn begins to brown on the edges. Remove vegetables from the pot. Add butter, and with a whisk fold in chicken bouillon, pepper and flour. Cook until the butter is absorbed. Slowly add cream and continue to cook, stir in milk for desired soup consistency and add vegetables and simmer to unite flavors. Top each serving with diced green onions. The soup will thicken after cooking. Thin down soup by adding more mil or chicken broth when reheating.

4.  And I have to be fair to the cat lovers as well, pretty adorable:

5. I spent Monday last with the bookkeeper in my SIL's office, working with her and the office accountant on establishing QuickBooks, as well as some other accounting issues. And I am pleased to announce that my old CPA brain still works! We have streamlined a good deal of the work being done in the office. Some employees may find it difficult for a while, but it will be fine in the long run. Change is always difficult for some. How about you, can you relate a work experience where major changes took place?

Have a great weekend my friends. 

Linda Kay

33 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

All the time!

Have a great weekend, Linda Kay!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Love your Polly! The chowder sounds yummy! I guess change is good , when it keeps you on your toes.

Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

Anvilcloud said...

Your dog is very cute, and I like the cat too. My daughter is/was a bookkeeper and probably went through the change that you mentioned. Sounds familiar.

Mariette said...

Polly is a pretty dog!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Linda, your dog is adorable! Though I am partial cats so really appreciated the photo of the cat reading the paper. Your chowder sounds delicious. Changes? I especially don't like changes that involve technology!

Tom said...

I'll need to try the corn chowder...yum

Lowcarb team member said...

What a great mix of things to read.
Love Polly and love the deep Blue Afghan.

Recipe looks good.

Where did you get that cat photo? Love the expression and glasses.

This week has certainly whizzed by - enjoy the remainder of Friday and have a good weekend.

All the best Jan

Tabor said...

I am always impressed when I remember something. That does not happen as often as I would like, but it is so rewarding when people are thankful for sharing your skills. Must have made your day.

Grantham Lynn said...

Great post. I love the poem. So true!

Marie C said...

I love corn chowder! Oooh, I haven't had any in a while. The puppy on that pretty blue afghan...so cute!

Jan Doling said...

Polly is so cute. Thank you for the corn chowder recipe, I will have to have a go at that, sounds delicious. xx

William Kendall said...

The dog prayer is cute, and Polly is adorable!

Lori said...

Polly is cute as a button. I love love the dog prayer! We have 4 dogs that sleep with us and two of them grumble whenever we move. My prayer at night is for a eaceful rest, which isn't always possible.

Mascha said...

Cute Polly! And I like the cat photo, of course...
Have a great weekend

ellen b. said...

Enjoyed reading your five! Nice haircut! :)
I'm glad your CPA skills clicked just the mention of a computer program makes me twitch. Soup Group sounds like great fun and that recipe looks yummy! Have a good weekend.

Amy at love made my home said...

Polly is so cute! Your corn chowder sounds delicious, just my sort of thing! Glad that the accounts went well, quite a challenge I am sure. Thank you for joining Five On Friday, happy weekend! xx

Tanya Breese said...

polly looks so cute and i love that blue afghan! i enjoyed the dog prayer and to be fair, the cat was cute too! thank you for linking and have a great weekend!!

Mike said...

"...my old CPA brain still works!"

Isn't it great when you can prove that you still know stuff?

Lexa Cain said...

Polly looks very smart and sophisticated with her new cut, and that poem made me laugh so hard! It's completely true. I've shared my bed with lots of pets over the years and once 6AM comes, it's either a paw on the face, licking, or sitting on your chest. "I want food!" Great post - have a wonderful weekend! :)

Rose said...

I love that dog poem....it is just so true. The corn chowder sounds delicious! Polly is cute.

Nonnie said...

Your little dog is so cute and so is the poem. They definitely get in your heart. The corn chowder sounds really good and we love soup around here. I definitely remember the change when I was forced to use a computer, which I DID NOT want to do. Now I can't imagine making it without one.

Cherdo said...

Git 'er done, Linda! LOL. Love the doggie pics.

Mac n' Janet said...

Thanks for the kitty photo. The Corn Chowder sounds good, will give it a try.

Lorrie said...

The chowder sounds delicious. Nothing better than soup during these cold months. I'm a teacher so things are always changing in my workplace, although not so much the bookkeeping and way things are done.

Farin Vazquez said...

Have to say, this winter has definitely been a winter for corn recipes! Of course, here it';s cornbread casserole, because my husband thinks it the best thing in the world. But, I can't blame him I suppose :)

Happy Friday Linda!

DeniseinVA said...

Great Friday Five Linda Kay. Thanks for the soup recipes. I have been making a lot of soups since the cold weather and these will fit in nicely.

DeniseinVA said...

Ps Polly is one adorable little sweety.

Margaret-whiteangel said...

Thanks for the recipe...it was me who asked what it was..
Your dog looks very cute after the hair cut...

Lin Floyd said...

Friday again already this winter os speeding by...on to spring!

eclectichomelife said...

Thanks for the chowder revenue may just give that a go x

The Yum List said...

Well doesn't Polly look very sharp with the new do ;-)

Ida said...

Polly is very cute & thanks for including something for us cat lovers.

Betsy Adams said...

Polly is adorable.... Looks so pretty against that blue afghan....

One of my sons uses (or used) Quck Books in his job.. He always liked it.. BUT--as you said, change is never easy...

Hugs,
Betsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...