Monday, January 11, 2016

Spaceship Earth

How differently we look at days of the week. Over the Christmas/New Year holidays I had no idea what day it was with all those special days and "eves" falling on Friday. This brings me to Patricia's quote for the week: “There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth.
We are all crew.”
Marshall McLuhan

I'm guessing that the meaning has to do with the fact that everyone has a place and a responsibility to keep the Earth going, allowing none of us to just sit back and enjoy the ride. I recently heard on talk radio about the changes that are happening in Saudi Arabia with the drop in oil prices. Here's an article that addresses a part of the issue: Saudi Arabia is ruled by the House of Saud, and a large percentage of the people work for the government in some form or other. It's a pretty interesting development if you would like to read more. Events in this country could effect other countries as well.

I do take issue with this statement, as it seems that more and more are becoming dependent on social welfare in our country. A friend shared the following with me this week.

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years.  During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:
From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."

That's a pretty astounding statement by this Scottish history professor. Those of you who might be history buffs, what do you think? Are we all part of the crew? Or are some just passengers on the Spaceship Earth? I leave you with this.....

Happy Monday. Be sure to see what others have observed from this statement at Patricia's Place.  Thanks for hosting. I've been a little busy with my other life (accounting) lately, so have been a bit preoccupied. I'll be back up to speed soon.

Linda Kay

23 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, I have been enjoying my working at being retired. I would like to think I am just a passenger now and no longer part of the crew. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Lin Floyd said...

It is interesting how civilizations go through that cycle. You think we could learn from past experiences...but we don't. I love retirement and time to choose what I want to accomplish!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I love that meme...reminds me of the old one...the beatings will continue until the morale improves.

..."E"... Beth Edwards said...

your little cartoons are too cute. my hubby is off sunday & monday ... so it is a bit different from others. enjoy your week!! cold one here, a front is moving through. interesting weather times. ( :

Gail said...

Kinda scary.

Thanks for visiting.

Rain Trueax said...

I think people can still contribute whether they earn money or get it from some other source. The question is always whether they do...

Anvilcloud said...

Some good reading on your part. I do, however, question conclusions from more than a century ago. It doesn't mean that they are wrong but that a lot more current information would be required to verify or refudiate. Interesting though.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Not having to go out on a cold Monday must be a blessing worth savoring. Only 39 more years for me!!!!!!

Tabor said...

I think these cycles are true but not inevitable. We evolve and we change and we can work this out.

Mike said...

A strong middle class keeps a society functioning. Ours is dwindling.

Linda W. said...

Sigh...history does have a way of repeating itself. I agree with the above comment that a strong middle class keeps a society functioning. Sadly, I think the middle class is becoming an endangered species in our country.

William Kendall said...

Hmmmm, food for thought!

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

That's a profound thought... Back to bondage. Let's hope we're not really headed that way. I think of myself as a steward of the land. Taking care of Mother Earth, wether it's beautifying it or preventing/cleaning up things. Ahh.... we do have our problems don't we.

The Yum List said...

Now that is just cruel posting that first photo - for those of us that are lumping up to work Monday morning. ;-)

Margaret-whiteangel said...

Great being retired.
Days slips by, pass by enjoyed to the fullest.

Janie Junebug said...

I'm a crew member. I can't sit back and enjoy the ride when people dressed in rags sleep on the street.

Love,
Janie

Pippa Koenig said...

I would like it, if you can decide to link this to my:
http://pippavier.blogspot.de/



herzlich Pippa

Patricia said...

Very interesting what the Scot wrote. Something to ponder. I think retired people work just not for pay or someone else and doing what their hearts tell them to...unless they are slugs or something.

Liked the picture of the kids. Maybe to be a good leader you have to be a bit bossy.

Thanks for sharing your post with In Other Words.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I'm gonna steal this cute image....and send it to Bud....I'll show him just how right I am about leadership in OUR household. rofl.

Don't get me going on oil...and the market, and all the world so set on how we live and our lifestyles with the oil prices fluctuating, etc. I can't stand how they are so concerned with oil and other 3rd world countries when we have our OWN problems here, locally.

Oh, yes, it's that time of year again for taxes and accounting!! How time flies.

Michelle F said...

Hi, Linda Kay

Thank you so much for stopping by.
If you would keep our family in prayer I would appreciate it.
We are going through some trying times.

I am blogging through my Kindle.
So not getting much done.
My computer is now in the garage.

Praying 2016 will turn out better than 2015.

xoxo

Josie Two Shoes said...

That quote is rather scary when you look at what is transpiring in our country, I want to believe that we can work together to fix things before it is too late, but intelligent choices have to be made... starting with who/what we elect to represent us!

Rory Bore said...

That's a great quote to me because at the very least it reminds us that we are all connected. No man is an island so-to-speak. Even with our great freedoms, we must keep in mind that there are always consequences to our actions and choices, and thus also comes great responsibility. I think a big problem in this world, regarding the idea of Democracy... or maybe in particular, Freedom; is that many think freedom is simply that you can do whatever the heck you want. It's your life, do what feels good to you!! And that is partly true; that we do enjoy the liberty to pursue our own happiness. However, I think the original intent of Freedom, was not so much the liberty TO DO whatever you want... but Freedom FROM. Freedom from slavery, tyranny, feudal class systems, paternalism, taxes without representation... pick an abuse. It was supposed to mean the end of one human (dictator), or group/class of people (wealthy) having control over another group.
I don't think "Freedom" in it's truest sense had anything to do with access to 500 plus channels, 50 kinds of cereal in a grocery aisle, or being naked on the internet. I mean, I feel we lost sight of the original goal somewhere along the way.

DeniseinVA said...

Great post Linda Kay. Your 88 year old friend must have loved your company. I enjoy our elderly because they have so many interesting stories to tell. We'll all be there one day. My son saw the movie and told me if I decided to see it, it was as you say very graphic but was an excellent movie. I always enjoy browsing through a thrift shop. You never know what treasures you can find. Have a great weekend :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...