Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Alice Walker

Patricia posted the following quote for her writing challenge, and it brought to mind my current state of thoughts. Thanks for hosting and providing the quote.

In Other Words"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." Alice Walker

First I had to look up Alice Walker to see why we might want to address a quote she presented. Ms. Walker won a Pulitzer Prize in literature for "The Color Purple". As an author wanna be, I'm impressed. Now for what this quote means to me:

I've been watching all the debates, news stories and media coverage for the past several months, and I have to say I've become very jaded and uninterested in the current climate of our country. Between the administration and our legislators and our judicial system, nothing seems to be working effectively for our country. I turn off the television news after just a short time of watching, flip off the radio when commentaries come on, and put my hands over my ears when people begin to discuss the primaries.

What sits in the back of my mind, is 'why should I vote'. I can't make a difference, and I have no power to change the course of history. That is really a pretty dumb question for myself, especially in light of Ms. Walker's quote. Voting does make a difference. If everyone walked away from the voting privilege we would soon give up the power of the people. We need to be involved. We need to find the best candidate, even when it looks like we have little to chose from. And then we need to hold our legislators' feet to the fire. 

Ms. Walker's quote applies to almost every day of our life. We can dwell on negatives about our place in society, or we can step up and make a difference, whether it be volunteering, working at a job, or just being among friends. And that's what I have to say about the matter. When November gets here, no matter who is running, I'll get out and vote with confidence that God is in control.

Don't forget to find your picture and write your poem or story to link in to Wednesday Wit and Wisdom tomorrow.

Some great stories last week, so be sure to check them out!

Linda Kay

11 comments:

Tom said...

yet another wonderful stamp

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Those are wise words!

Lin Floyd said...

it's easy to become complacent and do nothing in our world of chaos!

Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan said...

Hello! !
I am grateful to always nice blog message.
“Welcome to Okayama in Okayama Prefecture of Japan from April 1 to June 30, the Land of Sunshine!
Enjoy a side of Japan crafted specially for you. “It has been held.
Please come by all means to play.
https://ryoma2sakamoto.wordpress.com

William Kendall said...

I can say that here in Canada last fall we turned our backs on negativity in our federal election and chose someone who appeals to, as President Lincoln said, the better angels of our nature.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Indeed. I have always felt that for those who don't exercise their right to vote, they lose their right to complain about the state of the union later.

fishducky said...

Can I vote for you?

Tabor said...

Most politics is local and we need to place our power and focus on that!!

Grantham Lynn said...

Great post. Wise words! Hope you have a great week.
I'll try to come by tomorrow!

Anvilcloud said...

Where I live, my vote doesn't count because I am always in the minority. But I vote anyway. Always.

Amy at love made my home said...

I always say that in a way it doesn't matter who you vote for, just vote! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...