Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Depression

Welcome back to Wednesday Wit and Wisdom. You will find all about this meme and the instructions hereThe purpose of this link up is to help us share some stories we might have milling about in our minds as we look at particular photos.  Many of us have mentioned that we could "write a story" about a photo of a barn, an old store, or an abandoned residence we have found or shown to others. I thought it would be fun to find a photo and write a short story.  You can add a bit of "wit" or "wisdom" if you like. Give it a try and join in!



I had to laugh when I saw this on Facebook on a day when I wasn't particularly in the mood to deal with anything or anyone.....it could have been my picture. 

We are not the same furry creatures as the one in the photo, but we do sometimes face days when we just don't want to be bothered. Last Saturday, I was getting started with my cleaning, and always start in the master bath for some unknown reason. Anyway, hubby kept walking in there (like he belonged there!) to take his pills, to brush his teeth, to use the commode, to shave, etc., etc. He had an obligation later that morning, so I just stayed out of the way until he left. Grrrrr! How stupid is that? So how did I get myself out of this crazy funk and shape up?

First I took a Zyrtec, as my allergies were flared up from the rain and pollen. I drank two cups of coffee and ate some breakfast. Then I read my Max Lucado morning devotion. Max always hits the nail on the head with the random readings. While hubby was out at his volunteering, I finished the housework I needed to get done, washed some clothes, and finally put on some makeup and combed my hair. Pulled myself up by the bootstraps, so to speak, before he came back. I felt much more civil by this time. 

My friend suffers from depression, and she is always having her medication changed when she can't seem to get back. She might avoid people, spend a lot of time crying, and generally feeling low. Having just one morning of feeling blue with the rain coming down and the sunshine hidden by the clouds, I can't imagine struggling against this on an ongoing basis. I've made it a point to not just send her a text or call her on the phone, but stopping by or inviting her to an outing. God bless each of you who might be suffering from depression. 

Now it's your turn. Got a picture that sparks a story or a thought you might want to share? Post your picture, write the story or poem, then come back and join in with us here.

Linda Kay

15 comments:

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Thankfully, I don't think I've ever been 'deep' in a depression, but I do know of others who suffer...so, I'm with you....stop by, visit with them regularly and take 'em out for the day. They begin to look forward to the special days/treats from a dear friend like you.

Tom said...

depression sure is a downer

Anvilcloud said...

Sure glad I don't suffer from clinical depression which is different than having a down day.

Theresa said...

I love that photo! God's Word always helps me refocus and there is something calming about sitting down with a cup of hot tea or coffee :)

Mike said...

Great meme. Should be on a t-shirt.

William Kendall said...

I live with depression. Fortunately I don't need medication, but I do see a therapist on a regular basis and talk things out. I've been down deep in it. These days it's manageable.

Josie Two Shoes said...

I am having a day just like that little guy in the picture. Being in an office I have to work hard not to grumble at people! :-) It is very kind of you to reach out to your friend with depression. It is a very difficult thing to live with because it's one of those horrible struggles that other people can't see or fully understand. I know she appreciates your caring!
Josie Two Shoes
from Josie's Journal

Lowcarb team member said...

I do think talking helps if you are feeling down / depressed.

All the best Jan

Denise inVA said...

I get an occasional blue day but I have known people with serious depression, it is very debilitating and often misunderstood.

Terri @ Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I have down days and occasionally anxiety...but have never been truly and seriously depressed. On days when I just would rather everyone left me alone, I have found that getting outdoors really does help. A walk, a drive, even just sitting on the porch and watching the pond and hummers and martins fly around..this helps.

Gail said...

I've had an overdose of depression. It is hard to imagine the feelings while in the midst of that. The sun does come out but sometimes you just don't care.

I love the picture and like the way you handled the bathroom situation. I was angry yesterday (and that's part of the depression, too, I think) when Hubby was watching me work. My project, my time but he HAD to sit and watch. Sucked the relaxation right outta it. He thought he was keeping me company, Bless his heart. I, thankfully, did not tell him what I was thinking.

We shall over come depression a moment at a time. It always helps to know you are not alone. Thank you for being there for your friend.

Amy at love made my home said...

You are a wonderful friend to your friend. Love and care is the greatest gift you can give.

Michele Truhlik said...

Love the picture and especially with the caption!
I have suffered from depression in the past and it's not pretty. I've been in a funk for weeks and months on end and that's no way to live. I finally got out of it with the help of medication. For the longest time I never wanted to admit to being depressed --- and most people don't. That's why it's called the lonely disease. But now so much is being discovered about it and more and more people are being helped because they are admitting to it. Medication helps. Therapy helps. Writing helps. Just be grateful that the occasional down day is just that. THAT is a true blessing...

Oh yeah, and friends help too! Being a good friend is the best gift you can give someone...especially when they're depressed. You're a good friend!

I haven't heard of Max Lucado. I'll have to check into him. Those daily devotionals help too!

Great post. You didn't say though: did you ever get the bathroom finished?? I would've just taken that as a sign that it wasn't meant to be done that day. ha! Anything to get out of housework... :)

Michele at Angels Bark

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Great post. You are a good friend, too. It is hard to go through dark times, and it helps to know someone cares.

See you next week for WWW. A-Z will be over.

Janie Junebug said...

God bless you for spending time with that friend. I have major depressive disorder. I have to work quite hard to make myself do much of anything; however, I love correcting grammar. That takes so little effort. Beautiful grammar brings joy to my life. To each her own.

Love,
Janie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...