Friday, April 29, 2016

Gruene TX

We visited some friends in New Braunfels last weekend, and drove to the little town of Gruene (pronounced green). Gruene has some delightful shops and a dance hall. Our first stop was at the Gristmill for lunch, where we were entertained by music as we waited.

They had an unusual way to call folks for their table. Outside was a huge chalkboard where someone wrote the names and table numbers when ready. Hosts and hostesses stood in front of the blackboard to take patrons to their tables.

The food was wonderful. We enjoyed sandwiches and iced tea/water. I got a couple of pictures of the old building and a white star jasmine climbing up a wall near us.


After lunch, we peeked into the bar and dancehall, where music and people are hoppin' so to speak on the weekends.


Had a beautiful weekend with some dear friends. If you are out and about in the area, be sure to make a trip to Gruene!

Have a happy weekend, and I'll see you on Monday!
Linda Kay

20 comments:

Gosia k said...

You have had a great time h a ve a great weekend love from Europe

Tom said...

that's one BIG dancehall

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Gruene sounds like a fun place to visit. The lunch at Gristmill is wonderful too. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Anvilcloud said...

Dance halls sure seem to be a cultural difference from there to here.

Lea said...


Each small town has its own unique character. It is great to get out and explore them.
Have a wonderful week-end!
Lea

Gail said...

Sounds like a wonderful place.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sounds a fun place, and I like all your photo's.

Have a great weekend

All the best Jan

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a neat place. I'm definitely a small town girl and remember driving Main Street on Sat. night! lol Hugs!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Yall have a great weekend too

TexWisGirl said...

i remember a few friday nights spent that way (cruising the street). have heard of gruene's famous dance hall. :)

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

This looks like fun, Linda! And, yes, we used to "scoop the loop"...just driving the same route, over and over. Ha!

Nonnie said...

Oh my. That brings back so many memories for me. We used to canoe down the Guadelupe River in the summer and then go to Gruene for the chicken fried steak at the Grist Mill. Once we stayed at a bed and breakfast here. Usually we stayed at the old Landa Resort. I bet that place is run down by now. Love New Braunfels.

William Kendall said...

I find the building quite appealing.

Lin Floyd said...

looks like lots of fun!

The Furry Gnome said...

I guess I was from a small town! And thanks for reminding me of the other side of your early springs!

Margaret-whiteangel said...

It must have been very busy at the eating house.
Used to have dances years ago in halls, but not any more.

Mike said...

Waiting to get in can be a good sign.

Lux G. said...

I'm from a small town. :)
Always good to meet new friends.

Amy at love made my home said...

It is a lovely place isn't it! Glad you had fun!

Betsy Adams said...

I love that area of the country. I have a good friend who owns a home in San Marcos ---and also have a granddaughter going to Texas State there... Beautiful area of the country...

Gruene and New Braunfels are both great 'vacation' places... I miss some parts of Texas --and miss my kids down there.

Happy May Day... I'll publish a blog post tomorrow.
Hugs,
Betsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...