Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Alamo

Welcome back to Wednesday Wit and Wisdom. You will find all about this meme and the instructions hereThe purpose of this link up is to help us share some stories we might have milling about in our minds as we look at particular photos.  Many of us have mentioned that we could "write a story" about a photo of a barn, an old store, or an abandoned residence we have found or shown to others. I thought it would be fun to find a photo and write a short story.  You can add a bit of "wit" or "wisdom" if you like. Give it a try and join in!


In your imagination, try taking all the colorful tourists out of the way, along with the paved walkways and green grass, signs, etc. The Alamo, San Antonio Texas. It's one of the most visited shrines in the U.S., with people coming from all over the world to see this place of great human sacrifice for freedom (2.5 million a year).

For a short version of the conflict: William Travis and James Bowie commanded the troops at the Alamo. The rebellion here was against the Mexican rule of Bexar County (San Antonio). There were less than 200 men fighting against perhaps thousands of the Mexican Army. Travis knew they were very short on fighters and appealed for help, but it did not come. The Mexican army led by Santa Anna had skirmishes with the Texian fighters for several days before finally marching on the Alamo on March 6, 1836, leaving only a few women, children, and slaves alive. The Alamo was originally a mission, now seen as a significant battle site for the Republic of Texas, defined later that year in a battle at San Jacinto, led by Sam Houston. 

This spirit of determination and hunger for independence is still alive in the U.S., and the Alamo serves as a reminder to us and others who visit. One room of the Alamo is where the women and others huddled against the advances. Davy Crockett was one of the fighters.

There is an aura in the building, many artifacts including letters and weapons used in the day. The site is currently being studied for reconstruction in San Antonio. 

What's on your mind today about a picture you have seen or a place you have visited? Write your story on your blog, then come back and join in, linking so others can read what you have written. Have a special week!
Linda Kay

15 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Definitely a place to visit and experience the aura of the building and area.

All the best Jan

SEO Expert Pakistan said...

We cover all digital and marketing needs for your business. Our marketing is unique and creative unlike others.
http://auratrends.co.uk/
http://grabbit.com.pk/
http://theleggingshop.se/

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

ahhhh...this Texan has never been to the Alamo. :(

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I definitely would like to visit the Alamo one day. It sounds fantastic!

Tom said...

I visited the Alamo years ago...very impressive.

Denise inVA said...

I enjoyed this post Linda Kay. I was with my parents on a drive across America when we stopped there. My Dad (visiting from England) knew lol about the Alamo and wanted to see it. It was a fond memory for me to remember the look on his face when we got there.

Lin Floyd said...

this is a place I haven't visited...maybe someday as my hubby is from Texas...which was a place I never visited until after we married. I loved seeing the hometown where my husband was born and meeting those in his family and friends that still live there.

Gail said...

I have always wanted to visit here. I suppose it calls to me like the millions who have visited.

Mike said...

I was there about 15 years ago.

bj said...

Since we live in Texas, SA was always a great vacation spot for us when our kids were small. Went there many times and enjoyed all they have to offer...a fun place to go. The Alamo was on our TO SEE LIST every time we went. We are planning another trip there this summer, possibly with cousins. It will be fun....

William Kendall said...

Looks like that spammer's been quite active lately.

I would love to see the Alamo for myself someday.

Gosia k said...

great place to visit

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Wonderful to see and learn more about this historic place. I hope to see it someday!

Anvilcloud said...

I remember Davy Crockett so well. Even had a fake coon skin hat.

Michele Truhlik said...

I have been to the Alamo. I live about 90 minutes from there (I'm up in Austin). The artifacts and the weapons used are amazing. I should go again one of these days. Always interesting!

Michele at Angels Bark

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...