Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A Time for Redirection

Dear friends, I need to tell you a story.

Several years ago, my church purchased a house on the far corner of the block where the church and fellowship hall are built. At the time there were thoughts of restoring it and using it for church ministries, but years have passed with no action.

A couple of months ago, driving past the house, the idea came to me of converting it to a group home for sober living (or a halfway house) for women recovering from alcohol (or drug) addiction. The house is ideally located between a grocery store and the downtown area, where in this tourist town many jobs are available. In the city we also have many opportunities for additional support financially and with counseling. We took a tour of the house, and my engineer hubby is drawing up prospective plans. It needs serious work.

We are challenged with first overcoming any stereotype with our church council members for permission to move ahead. At a meeting recently we were given the go ahead to clean out the house (lots of furniture and old stuff) and get pricing together on the repairs. When we return on June 12th, we will find out if we have the support to proceed to the city zoning folks for approval, then the city council as well. In the meantime, I am doing research to set up a budget for the ongoing efforts and the rules and regulations for the residents.

Sound like a lot of work and time? It is. So I am taking a break from blogging to devote my time to this. I do have a team of folks to help, but bottom line, it's my vision. We will be spending a good deal of time on this before we even know whether we will be allowed to reclassify this house in the old historical section of the city. Any prayers you can send my way will be appreciated, for those of you who are prayer warriors. 

There is so much need to help alcoholics and addicts make their way back to "normal living". This home will be for women only. We don't have a name for the house as yet, so if something jumps into your mind, I welcome your ideas. My pastor is all about reaching out into the community in service, and he has done a fabulous job so far guiding us through the process. 

After we get through June 12th, we will begin all the layout of information and application to the city zoning board and city council. If we get the city approval, then we will start fund-raising efforts. But we (hubby and I) have a three week driving trip coming up as well later in June. I'll jump in occasionally to comment on your blogs and maybe post an update as we progress. Thanks for your prayers and support!

I sometimes wonder about this:
Linda Kay

26 comments:

Blogoratti said...

That's a highly commendable cause, and vision which you have set out to accomplish in order to help the local community. Wish you more strength to see it all through, today and always. Best wishes!

Tabor said...

What a challenging and rewarding project. I wish you the very best as you will help so many others if your effort is a success! It is so much better than just letting the house sit and not be used at all!

Patricia said...

What an incredible vision you have Linda Kay, to come up with this idea. I wish you every success and admire you greatly for doing this project. Good Luck, and maybe every few months you might get a chance to let us know how it is going? All the best.

eileeninmd said...

Linda, what a great idea. It is a rewarding project,I hope all goes well. I wish you all the best. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

Anvilcloud said...

What a super idea. All the best.

Lin Floyd said...

sounds like a worthy project and much needed in our time and day!

Nonnie said...

What a beautiful vision. Prayers that your labors will be fruitful, and that God will do exceedingly and abundantly over and above what you can imagine!

William Kendall said...

It does sound like a worthwhile and commendable project.

Pamela Gordon said...

Linda, I'm impressed with this project that you and your husband have taken on. There is such a great need for these facilities in our cities and they are a big challenge, so I pray God will bless you and your efforts as you plan and prepare for the opening of the house and that many women will be blessed and healed through this ministry. Suggested name? Grace House. For it is by Grace that we are saved. Blessings to you, your husband and church family as you embark on this ministry. Have a blessed summer.
Pam

Lowcarb team member said...

"Sound like a lot of work and time? It is. So I am taking a break from blogging to devote my time to this. I do have a team of folks to help, but bottom line, it's my vision. We will be spending a good deal of time on this before we even know whether we will be allowed to reclassify this house in the old historical section of the city. Any prayers you can send my way will be appreciated, for those of you who are prayer warriors."

Wonderful project / vision / idea and my thoughts and prayers are with you as you embark.

All the best Jan

Gosia k said...

good luck. Hugs from Poland

fishducky said...

Pamela Gordon's "Grace House" sounds perfect to me!!

Mike said...

People will come out of the woodwork to fight you on this. Be ready for them.

The Furry Gnome said...

Sounds lieka great project! Good luck.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds like a huge undertaking to me. Best of Luck:)

Margaret-whiteangel said...

Wonderful idea and I do hope all goes well.
Something to do that will be so worth while and I'm sure very appreciated by those that enter 'the house'.
Good luck.
Enjoy your trip, be safe.
We are off soon for 4 months travelling.

Ann said...

Your heart was open to the Holy Spirit nugging and I'm delighted for you. Also will be praying.
Ann

Kailani said...

What a wonderful project. I hope the Lord guides all of you, and even moreso, those that stand in your way.

pattisjarrett said...

Praying for God's favor and guidance in this process, and Godspeed on your travels.

Lux G. said...

That last photo of quote though. That sounds so familiar to me. That seems to be my thoughts too. :P

Best of luck to you. Hope everything goes well.

Grantham Lynn said...

Bless you. My Cowboy and I managed founded and managed a non-profit
for a few years. A faith based ministry for incarcerated youth. We still serve as chaplains at a boys prison unit. I love your heart! I'll be pray for your new ministry.

mom/caryn said...

I love what you're doing! I don't know you... but, I will definitely add my prayers for you and the wonderful journey you are embarking on. Lantern House. Stairway House. One Leg Up. Realized Dreams. I raised funds for many projects and several homes over the years while working for the Red Cross. Find a name that is catchy, simple and easy to remember, but that makes it stand out from the others... not too corporate. Your fund raising efforts will do much better that way. So many will be blessed through realizing YOUR dream! Wish I was there to help!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Sounds like a great cause!

Gail said...

What a wonderful purpose. Bless you and your husband and all those who help.

There is such a need! It is a conundrum for many trying to recover, they have to work to get money but have to have money to work. I can imagine the hopelessness that comes over them when they try to get on their feet.

I think your idea is what my sister calls a God Voice. Thank you for listening.

Revrunner said...

Good luck with that.

bettyl-NZ said...

What an amazing and wonderful idea to help those around you. I will certainly keep you in my prayers as you go forward with this service to your community and the women who need it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...