Wednesday, May 18, 2016

It's Wednesday!

Welcome back to Wednesday Wit and Wisdom. You will find all about this meme and the instructions hereThe purpose of this link up is to help us share some stories we might have milling about in our minds as we look at particular photos.  Many of us have mentioned that we could "write a story" about a photo of a barn, an old store, or an abandoned residence we have found or shown to others. I thought it would be fun to find a photo and write a short story.  You can add a bit of "wit" or "wisdom" if you like. Give it a try and join in!
Some of you out there have lots of great memories of camping in your travel trailer. We had a trailer at one time and a big pick up truck to pull it down the highway. While we had our trailer we were in a couple of dangerous high wind situations and had tornadoes pass on two sides of us while we huddled in a concrete block restroom with 40 other campers, dogs and kids. Not such a treasure of an experience. And then there was this:


We packed our trailer, hitched it to our truck, grabbed our two small dogs, and drove from Texas to Minnesota for a wedding. While there, my husband contracted pneumonia. Armed with drugs for him, I elected to drive home. No reception, no wedding. We stopped in a parking lot in Iowa for the night. Two-hour stretches the next day and quick stops led us into Texas by ten that night. Thick traffic surrounded me in Dallas as our precious caravan crept through, almost home. He remembers nothing. An angel rode beside me to keep us safe.



I could give you many more details of this trip, but suffice it to say it was one of the most harrowing of my life. It's your turn. Got a picture that reminds you of a story. Write it up and post it to your blog, then come back and join me here to share it with others. 



Linda Kay

18 comments:

Denise inVA said...

Hi Linda, the link doesn't seem to be working for me yet but I will be back later. In the meantime my related post is:
http://anenglishgirlrambles2016.blogspot.com/2016/05/a-few-treasures-i-found-this-weekend.html

Denise inVA said...

Two hair-raising experiences! Glad your angels were on all your shoulders in both.

Gail said...

It's always handy to have a celestial co-pilot. I'm not sure I could have done that. I guess the hidden strengths we have show up when we need them.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

I was going to link, but there is no link. Glad that all is well, though! It helps to have connections like angels.

Grantham Lynn said...

I've had a couple harrowing experiences like that!
Thanks for the party. I posted a wordless post this morning but I plan to write a post for you and link tonight.
Have a good party!

Linda Kay said...

Sorry I can't get the link to work at all this morning. Who knows. Thanks to all for your stories.

Lowcarb team member said...

As Gail said "celestial co-pilot" are very good to have !!!

All the best Jan

MELODY JACOBS said...

nice oneNew post
http://www.melodyjacob.com/

William Kendall said...

My parents had a couple of tent trailers. The first met a bad end- we were driving out west to see my brother who'd been living there at the time. Dad decided to drive through the night, and early in the morning fell asleep at the wheel. The car went in the ditch. While the car and everyone in it were relatively fine, the tent trailer met a bad end. We had to pack everything in it into the car, and the rest of the trip had us in motels.

Nonnie said...

That is indeed a long haul and would have been harrowing to me too. Glad you did it. We do what we have to do, don't we? And angels surrounding us give us that extra measure of protection. We had a travel trailer and also a motor home. There are always lots of good travel stories.

Denise inVA said...

Hello, I came back to try again but still no luck. I see you know it's not working. These little glitches happen occasionally. I'm sure it's happened to me too, if my memory serves correct, but not for a while thank goodness. Happy day to you Linda Kay and thanks for visiting my latest post.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That was a most harrowing trip! I'm glad both of you survived and prevailed.

Mike said...

My camping trips were limited to Scouting trips. I just never could get into it for myself.
And here you have a camping story most guys would pay big bucks to have. They would be talking about their harrowing adventure forever.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Thanks for sharing the interesting story ... it does sound pretty scary! Thanks for your comment on my blog about your summer road trip and possibly stopping in Seattle. You will be welcome! I wonder how long you will be on the road and which states you will visit. Perhaps you will cover that in one of your posts here on Senior Adventures. Hope you are having a fine week and thanks for sharing.

Michele Truhlik said...

Wow, I can't imagine traveling in between two tornadoes. OMG, how scary! Tornadoes freak me out and I'm terrified of them. We've had a few scares here in Texas and I'm always so relieved when the warnings are lifted.

I have some fond memories of tent-trailer camping when I was a kid. We didn't do it too often because my mom just found it too much work. Of course my dad had to have his 4-course meals every night and she hates cooking anyway so it just got on her nerves. But i remember the fun parts: fishing, meeting cool strangers who are parked next to you, seeing the different parks, etc.

So glad you had your angels with you. That had to be a trip from Hell! I love what one of your commenters called them: "celestial co-pilots": LOVE THAT!

Cool post. Thanks for the memories Linda. :)

Michele at Angels Bark

Inger said...

Just stopped by to visit. I'm so glad the harrowing trip ended OK and you were safe.

Amy at love made my home said...

Gosh I could tell you a few camping stories, but thankfully none involving anything as horrid as this. Glad you were alright!

Carola Bartz said...

Linda, I'm so glad that Wit and Wisdom is back. I hope I can participate again! It's crazy here at the moment with my daughter's graduation coming up in two weeks.
What a story! Just driving a stretch like on your own is a big deal, but pulling a trailer on top of it - oh my!! Your must have felt so relieved when you finally reached home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...