Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Wednesday Faith Reflections

This picture is from a tiny church in Chimaya, New Mexico, each of the arches and crosses laid in stone beside a spring-fed stream. So restful.

If you have read my blog in the past, you know that I've gotten myself involved in a huge project to bring a sober living facility to town by rehabilitating a house owned by my church. So I've decided that I will devote Wednesday to writing about our progress or lack thereof.

Before we left on vacation, my hubby had arranged for an asbestos inspection on the house, as it is listed as commercial and no work can be done until asbestos is removed. Our friend Jim met with the inspector to give him access to the house to take samples for the lab.

Shortly before we returned home last Friday, we received the fabulous news that there is asbestos in the sheet rock in the house. The minimum finding is >1% and we had a result of 2%. Really???!!! So we paid the $780 for this inspection and testing and awaited the bids on the abatement. Picture men in HAZMAT suits swarming into our little house. Our speculation was that the cost could go over $20,000, but we had no idea, and the devil was getting me to think we should just forget the project! 

Then we received the bid. So let me give you the breakdown:

3600 Sq Ft sheet rock and insulation removal, $9,789.00

Project design for our inspector/manager, $600.00
Asbestos Air Monitoring per day, $550.00/ 9 hrs., not to exceed 4 days
Travel expenses of manager, $460.00
Asbestos Final Report, $250.00
All of this section not to exceed $3,510.00

Then there is an additional $700 to be paid for asbestos fees to a government agency.

The total comes to almost $14,000, thanks to the government regulations on our little house, zoned commercial. I have no more to say on this subject. This proposal goes to our Church Council for approval to go ahead next Monday, so I'll have another update for you next week.

Linda Kay

10 comments:

Beth “E. Lizard Breath Speaks” Edwards said...

that is alot of money chat, sounds very in depth. i will need to come back when i have had my coffee and breakfast so my brain is running better. ha. ha!! i am thinking wow wee. hope you are well this week. that life is going well not going too quickly. have a blast. ( :

Anvilcloud said...

Well, that seems to be a major hurdle.

Tabor said...

Linda, blessings to you for tackling this project. I had forgotten. I am glad you share with us the challenges. Maybe you can get an article in the local paper to see if donations will come...or are you trying to keep this under the radar for the neighborhood?

Lin Floyd said...

whenever something good is going to happening there is always opposition from the other side-press forward!

William Kendall said...

I can see that being quite an obstacle.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Darn! That is a real setback of extra expense!

Gosia k said...

great job congrats

Amy at love made my home said...

Well, it was better than what you feared so I guess that is a plus. I hope that the church will be able to find the funds needed. Are there any grants that you can apply for to assist with such things? Hope it goes well!

Mike said...

Can an asbestos lawyer get you any money from the asbestos abatement fund?

Lowcarb team member said...

I had been wondering how things were with your project.
Will read more in your next update.

All the best Jan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...