Monday, September 12, 2016

Doss VFD Fish Fry

One of the most delightful events we have enjoyed in Texas is the fish fries sponsored by local Volunteer Fire Departments. All the small towns around have some dedicated volunteers who have to put out fires in fields and forests as well as in the towns, and the equipment needs are great. So each year, each town VFD holds a fish fry and a silent auction to raise funds. We attended the Doss VFD event, a small town of some 500 souls. The turnout was unbelievable. Two large tents were set up with queues to keep people moving, all the while serving the beer that was part of your contribution for the meal. As you can see in the video, the lines moved pretty quickly.

On Labor Day my two daughters and I enjoyed lunch and the movie "Light Between Oceans", while the men were out dove hunting. I had read the book, and the movie is nearly identical to what I remember from the book. Bit of a tear-jerker, but enjoyed it.



Have a great day!

Linda Kay

13 comments:

Tom said...

Fish fries are popular here, now you have made me hungry.

Lea said...

Good food for a worthy cause - you can't beat that!
Have a great week!

Anvilcloud said...

Sounds like a good event.

Betsy Adams said...

So nice to live close to your daughters..... What a nice outing for you all --while your men were out 'playing'.... The fish events are common here in TN also.... Nice way to spend Labor Day. AND the movie sounds fabulous.

Hugs,
Betsy

Kailani said...

I've never been to a fish fry. Not even once. :0

William Kendall said...

There are occasionally events like that here as well.

Nonnie said...

That's wonderful! I have been wanting to see that movie, but wasn't sure whether husband would enjoy it. He cries in sad movies.

Mike said...

Fish fry's are great.

Janie Junebug said...

Your daughters are beautiful, and I know why!

Love,
Janie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I just bought that book at a book sale. Now I am anxious to read it and see the movie too. My Daddy was a Volunteer Fireman. We did so many things with that great bunch of people. (and I always got to ride on the firetruck in the parades!) Hugs!

Jeanne said...

Hi Linda Kay, what a lovely read. A fish fry sounds good to me and raising funds for a good cause is always a good thing. Loved the video. In MI we have gone to Fish Fries that is held every Friday night. I can't remember who puts it on but it is like the VFW.

The book "Light Between the Oceans" sounds so good. I have to look that up.
Happy Blue Monday and thank you for your sweet comment about my 9/11 post.
xo, Jeanne

"E."BethEdwardsVA said...

beautiful shot of u & your daughters .... sounds like fun. ( ;

Lowcarb team member said...

I liked your flowers in your previous post.
That photo of you and your daughters on this post is lovely

All the best Jan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...