Sunday, April 23, 2017

Fort Davis, Texas

Fort Davis  is part of the National Parks in Texas. Some friends and us took the long five-hour drive west in January. 

From Wikipedia:  The Gatling gun is one of the best-known early rapid-fire spring loaded, hand cranked weapons and a forerunner of the modern machine gun.
 Soldiers' barracks as it might have appeared.
Supplies were delivered in wagons.
Rock formations in the mountains surrounding Fort Davis were fascinating.

Later the same day, we visited the McDonald Observatory in the mountains near Fort Davis. I've never been a science buff, but I did find the presentations fascinating, and the equipment is very interesting as well.
One of the domes, from atop the mountain.
 The telescope is inside the dome, and the dome turns on giant rails.
 Another station, another more modern telescope.
You may find it amusing, but I was always under the impression that the shape of the moon was determined by the sun shine, throwing a shadow of the earth onto the moon. One of our demonstrations indicated that it is only the position of the moon and the angle in relation to the sun, and the earth has nothing to do with the shape we see. Duh!

From Fort Davis, a tiny town near the actual fort, we ventured on to Big Bend. I'll share more of that in my next post this week.

From the Seniorific News -
A fellow was trying to show off in an Italian restaurant. He looks at the menu and says "I'll have the pa-ge-on-e." The waiter says, "I'm sorry. That says page one."

Have a blessed week!

Linda Kay

8 comments:

Lea said...

Sounds like a fascinating place to visit.
I had to look at a map to locate Fort Davis. Interesting to see that it is about as far west as you can go and still be in Texas!
Hope you are having a wonderful week-end!

Lin Floyd said...

interesting never knew that about the moon...my hubby's from Texas too.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It sounds like an intriguing, remote place. Stargazing must be excellent there!

Have a nice weekend, Linda Kay!

Mike said...

I checked on the altitude of McDonald Observatory. 6790 feet. I didn't realize there were any mountains that high in Texas.

Kay said...

We can always learn something new. Love your menu joke!

Gosia k said...

Texas is an interesting state

William Kendall said...

Both the observatory and the fort would fascinate me!

Anvilcloud said...

I guess the earth shadow bit just applies to eclipses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...