Saturday, May 20, 2017

George W Library

Our final stop on our Dallas trip was at the George W. Bush Presidential Library on the campus of Southern Methodist University. The visit was delightful with history of 9/11 and events that followed. One of the special features is an exact replica of the Oval Office. Although to exact scale, the room seemed smaller than the images in my mind. We had a tour guide to tell us all about the features of the desk, the rug, and other history.

There were many other displays of interest, but I was most fascinated by the area containing the artist renditions of various military veterans as presented in President Bush's Portraits of Courage


This mural was an amazing collection of military heroes. 


We could have spent a great deal more time in Dallas, for sure, but we certainly enjoyed our two days there. Thanks for sharing our journey!

Linda Kay

4 comments:

William Kendall said...

I know from previous descriptions that the Oval Office is smaller than people expect it to be. His artistic style's interesting, particularly given that you wouldn't expect him to be the sort to take up art.

Lin Floyd said...

Never been to a presidental library before, looks like a museum of american history!

Janie Junebug said...

I love visiting presidential libraries. I've been to Roosevelt's, Truman's, Kennedy's, Johnson's, and the more touristy one for Lincoln in Springfield, Illinois. They have few original items from the time period on display. The original Lincoln items that they do have are locked in a vault because they're so fragile. I know they have one of his hats, and I think they have his gloves from the night he was assassinated. I've even been to the Buchanan "library," which is a room in the public library in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania. Their pride and joy is a Buchanan handwritten letter or document (I don't remember). It wasn't very exciting, but I loved the others.

Love,
Janie

Tabor said...

I read an interview with Bush on his painting turns and it was most interesting and self-effacing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...